This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1487 / 51°8'55"N
Longitude: -0.6479 / 0°38'52"W
OS Eastings: 494667
OS Northings: 139698
OS Grid: SU946396
Mapcode National: GBR FDD.YVL
Mapcode Global: VHFVZ.QDB7
Plus Code: 9C3X49X2+FR
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439626
Location: Witley, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Witley
Built-Up Area: Witley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Witley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 93NW WITLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE
8/256 Church of All
Church. Or nave, crossing tower and transepts c.1190, north chapel C14,
north aisle and transept 1844 and partly 1890 by Aston Webb. Sandstone and
chalk rubble, mortar rendered, limewashed on nave, with Bathstone and
Bargate stone quoins and dressings. Snecked sandstone on vestry with plain
tiled roofs and wood shingled needle spire under iron weathervane finial.
Roughly cruciform plan, tower to east of centre, with C19 porch to north
and gabled porch to south. Square tower of two stages separated by string
course of half round section. Corbelled coped parapet with small obelisks
at angles. Two-light louvred openings in each face of the upper stage. Two-
light cusped trefoil head window to west on south side of nave, two-light
window with lancet adjoining to east. Lancet windows on east and west sides
of south transept with two-light window in south end under hood moulding.
Lancet fenestration to south side of chancel, one with a shouldered head.
Massive buttresses on piers to chancel. C15 east window of 3-lights with
rectilinear tracery. Gabled brick and timber porch with arched door and
heavy cusped bargeboards to north. Renewed tracery to C15 west window over
ribbed and studded door in C15 surround with billet band and ogee crocketed
panel niches above. Gabled porch to south with C15 cusped bargeboards -
brought from another house. Attached jamb shafts with cushion capitals,
plain abacus and small moulding. Dog tooth pattern impost band to round
arched studded door.
Interior:- Brick tile floors. Three bay C19 octagonal pier arcade with
chamfered arches and moulded capitals. Braced collarbeam roof,cll9O, over
transept with billet ornament on wall plates. Crossing arches - plain
pointed in clunch with steeply chamfered imposts and narrow chamfers to
piers. Octagonal flat panelled ceiling over with central boss. Panelled and
vaulted arched chancel roof. Mosaic floor in chancel.
Fittings:- C19 reredos of Alabaster. Piscina - 1350, with foliated head
and aumbry over. C13 font, re-cut - octagonal on massive centre stem with
encircling detached columns on lobed base. C15 heraldic glass. Wall
paintings - C12 remains. Figures under round arches on south wall, the
subjects coming from the life of the Virgin. Dated by Professor Tristram
c1120 and one of a group done from Lewes Priory. C19 panelled pulpit.
Monuments - Four pedimented white/grey stone panels with dark grey grounds
on north chancel wall. Mid-C18 cartouche with cherub's head.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND - SURREY (1971) p.529-30.
V.C.H. - Surrey (1967 ed) Vol. III pp.61-9.
Listing NGR: SU9466839705
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings