History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Folly Lodge Known As Dove House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Redgrave, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3498 / 52°20'59"N

Longitude: 1.0275 / 1°1'39"E

OS Eastings: 606294

OS Northings: 276724

OS Grid: TM062767

Mapcode National: GBR TJ1.NM2

Mapcode Global: VHKCX.R6KH

Entry Name: Folly Lodge Known As Dove House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 16 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437957

Location: Redgrave, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Redgrave

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Redgrave cum Botesdale with the Rickinghalls

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wortham

Listing Text

REDGRAVE REDGRAVE PARK
TM 063767
2/83 Folly Lodge known as Dove
29.7.55 House (formerly listed as
Redgrave Hall Keeeper's
Lodge)
GV 11*

A lodge built to house carpenter for Redgrave Park Estate. Designed as part
of landscaping of the park to be an eyecatcher from Redgrave Hall
(demolished). c.1765-70, probably by Capability Brown for R. Holt. Grey
brick with white brick and timber dressings. Leaded domical roof.
Octagonal,in a simple classical style. 2 storeys. Entrance front facing
former Hall has a step up to a recessed part glazed door, timber Tuscan
doorcase, ¾ columns, pediment. Flanking sides have blank gauged brick round
arched panels. To left a second entrance with a boarded door above which is a
reused richly moulded terracotta panel with consoles, foliate ornament all in
a relieving arch; further left towards rear another door in a deep recess,
above in a relieving arch a 3-light leaded staircase window. Right return bay
glazing bar casements with gauged brick flat arched heads, towards rear a
blank arch. To rear a full height blank arch and an internal stack. Plinth,
timber boarding to heavy cornice, blocking course. Ribbed domical roof with
an acorn finial. Interior: ground floor room has original timber fire
surround with cornice, oval medallions, architraved doors to pantry and to
stairs, a stop chambered binding beam. First floor not inspected. (D. Stroud,
Capability Brown, 1975, pp.112-13).


Listing NGR: TM0629476724

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.