History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Guiseley, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8775 / 53°52'39"N

Longitude: -1.7058 / 1°42'20"W

OS Eastings: 419441

OS Northings: 442408

OS Grid: SE194424

Mapcode National: GBR JRJL.HR

Mapcode Global: WHC8X.RSXS

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433690

Location: Leeds, LS20

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Guiseley and Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Guiseley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Listing Text

AIREBOROUGH TOWN STREET
SE 14 SE
LS20 (west side)
Guiseley)
4/79 No. 55
- (Manor House)
GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1681 on lintel; altered. Large dressed
sandstone blocks in graduated courses with quoins, stone slate roof.
Two-unit central-lobby-entry plan. Two storeys and 2 bays, symmetrical;
continuous dripmould over ground-floor openings, stepped over door; on each
side a recessed 4-light mullioned window (each lacking the centre mullion),
and at left end evidence of a former single-light window; at 1st floor a
double-chamfered single-light window above the door, and on each side a
3-light window with plain surround and flat-faced flush mullions; to right of
centre window, a square sundial dated 1683 (probably ex situ, because out of
orientation); large corniced ridge chimney in line with door, chimney and
gable coping with kneelers at right-hand gable; stone slate roof continuous
with Nos. 53 and 51 to left (q.v.); but another chimney at junction.

Interior: housebody in left-hand room has large and very fine stone fireplace
with corbelled segmental arch, the corbels cut in one piece with the
outermost vousoirs, stepped voussoirs and moulded cornice; large longitudinal
chamfered beam, and chamfered joists, all with triangular stops.
(Longitudinal partition wall inserted towards rear makes rear service rooms).

History: said to have been built as house for schoolmaster of Guiseley.


Listing NGR: SE1944142408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.