History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Divine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sale, Trafford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4092 / 53°24'33"N

Longitude: -2.3187 / 2°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 378913

OS Northings: 390316

OS Grid: SJ789903

Mapcode National: GBR DY70.TL

Mapcode Global: WH98P.CK3R

Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 22 February 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436249

Location: Trafford, M33

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Village

Built-Up Area: Sale

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Baguley St John (Brooklands)

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Sale

Listing Text

SJ79SE BROOKLANDS BROOKLANDS ROAD
(west side)

698-1/549-7/549 Church of St John the
Divine

3/10/74 II*

Church. 1864-68, by Alfred Waterhouse. Coursed sandstone
rubble, red tiled roof. Gothic style. Nave with double north
and south transepts, north porch, chancel with north vestry
(plus C20 additions to west end). The buttressed 6-bay nave
has large 2-centred arched 3-light windows with cusped lights
and large emphatic unfoiled circular tracery, linked by a
drip-band which carries round the buttresses; square corner
pinnacles; and a very large 6-light west window (the lower
part now concealed by additions at this end). The gabled porch
to the 1st bay on the north side has a cusped opening under a
2-centred arch with paired shafts; wrought-iron gates and
immediately inside these a panelled screen and door. The
transepts have large 3-light windows similar to those of the
nave but with spherical triangles over the outer lights, and
roofs with bands of green fishscale slates and red cockscomb
ridge tiles. The chancel has (inter alia) a large rose window
with circular tracery, a niche below this with the eagle
emblem of the Evangelist, and a band of raised lettering. The
porch to the north vestry has a moulded doorway with innner
lintel inscribed "LET THY PRIESTS BE CLOTHED WITH
RIGHTEOUSNESS". Interior: yellow brick with some polychromatic
patterning; steep open roof; one south nave window with
stained glass by Morris & Co., 1897 (Pevsner).

This building was formerly listed in the City of Manchester.


Listing NGR: SJ7891390316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.