This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3727 / 51°22'21"N
Longitude: -0.0973 / 0°5'50"W
OS Eastings: 532535
OS Northings: 165452
OS Grid: TQ325654
Mapcode National: GBR GX.B4Z
Mapcode Global: VHGRL.8RFL
Plus Code: 9C3X9WF3+33
Entry Name: Segas Offices
Listing Date: 23 July 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201301
Location: Croydon, London, CR9
Electoral Ward/Division: Fairfield
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Croydon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The following item shall be added:
TQ3265 PARK LANE
1005-/9/10002 No 32
Gas company showroom and office. Built 1939-41 by William Newton (youngest son of Ernest Newton)L-shaped Moderne style building. Ground floor built of a reconstituted stone called "Empire stone" which has the appearance of oolitic limestone and upper floors notable for the rare use of permanent shuttering shockcrete slabs used as covering material on the upper floors. 5 storeys, 6 windows to Park Lane, 5 storeys, 9 windows to Katherine Street. Bronze casement windows. Park Lane elevation has end bays projecting in 4-storey curved bays with triple windows and bronze balcony above. 5th floor set back with 3 end casements behind end bays and continous bronze window set behind flat canopy with glazed roof lights supported on 6 concrete pillars. Horizontal, grooved decoration above 4th floor and end bays have a plaque with the date 1940 and the letters C G C for Croydon Gas and Coke Company. Centre has 5 5-light bronze casements with horizontal glazing bars. Ground floor has 2 round-headed windows with scrolled keystone and 4 original gas showroom windows stretching the whole width of the 5 central bays with flat canopy above and central marble door surround (now disused). Katherine Street elevation has set-back 5th floor with 5 casement windows ad plaques either end. Similar horizontal, grooved parapet above 4th storey and 9 bronze, horizontally-banded, pivoting casements. Ground floor has 8 roundheaded casements with wedge-shaped keystones and identical central opening with door-case with round-headed fanlight, moulded architrave, cornice and 6-panelled door. Right-hand elevation is blank apart from a full-height staircase window. Rear has similar windows including tall staircase window. Interior contains semicircular, ceramic panel in former entrance hall depicting shells, lotus flowers and vegetation current in the Carboniferous Period. Resited bronze plaque commemorating the Company's war dead. Oak doors throughout and walnut panelling and black marble bolection fireplace to Board Room. This building was part of a planned group of civic buildings around the Town Hall whose erection was curtailed by the Second World War. Twentieth Century gas office headquaters are rare as the companies had mainly built offices in the C19.
[see The Builder 21 January 1949, Architecture Illustrated May 1941,Architects' Journal 14 January 1943, The Builder 10 January 1947]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings