History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bishop's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8472 / 51°50'49"N

Longitude: -1.3581 / 1°21'29"W

OS Eastings: 444310

OS Northings: 216708

OS Grid: SP443167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WH.5FZ

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.DTVS

Entry Name: The Bishop's House

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262191

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435585

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK RECTORY LANE
SP4416NW (South side)
9/237 The Bishop's House
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Rectory)
GV II*
Rectory, now house. 1683-1686 for John Fell, Bishop of Oxford; Baroque-style
additions c.1710 for Edward Strong. Coursed limestone rubble and squared and
coursed limestone; gabled stone slate roof; end and lateral stacks of stone
ashlar finished in brick. Cruciform plan, with angles to front infilled in early
C18. Front has late C17 three-storey gable end flanked by early C18 two-storey
blocks. Early C18 bracketed stone flat hood, with guttae to brackets, over C18
double-leaf doors set in moulded stone architrave. Door flanked by narrow C20
windows set in C17 chamfered stone architraves; C20 window with similar
architrave and late C18 six-pane sash above door. Early C18 blocks, with corner
piers rising above parapet, have late C19 canted bay window to left and keyed
segmental arches over C19 six-pane sashes, and over late C19 plate-glass sash to
right. Left side of block to left has massive bracketed open pediment set above
early C18 six-pane sash with thick glazing bars, set in Baroque-style keyed
architrave with guttae carved under brackets. Rest of house has late C17
chamfered stone architraves and late C18 six-pane sashes. Interior: noted as
having bolection-moulded fireplaces and mid C18 panelled rooms. Built for the
use of the Rector of Bladon. Edward Strong was owner of the Taynton quarries and
therefore deeply involved in the building of Blenheim Palace: this was one of
the houses which Sarah Churchill alleged had been built from stone paid for by
the Blenheim account, and this would account for the additions to the house.
(information from VCH; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p858)


Listing NGR: SP4431016707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

WOODSTOCK RECTORY LANE
SP4416NW (South side)
9/237 The Bishop's House
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Rectory)
GV II*
Rectory, now house. 1683-1686 for John Fell, Bishop of Oxford; Baroque-style
additions c.1710 for Edward Strong. Coursed limestone rubble and squared and
coursed limestone; gabled stone slate roof; end and lateral stacks of stone
ashlar finished in brick. Cruciform plan, with angles to front infilled in early
C18. Front has late C17 three-storey gable end flanked by early C18 two-storey
blocks. Early C18 bracketed stone flat hood, with guttae to brackets, over C18
double-leaf doors set in moulded stone architrave. Door flanked by narrow C20
windows set in C17 chamfered stone architraves; C20 window with similar
architrave and late C18 six-pane sash above door. Early C18 blocks, with corner
piers rising above parapet, have late C19 canted bay window to left and keyed
segmental arches over C19 six-pane sashes, and over late C19 plate-glass sash to
right. Left side of block to left has massive bracketed open pediment set above
early C18 six-pane sash with thick glazing bars, set in Baroque-style keyed
architrave with guttae carved under brackets. Rest of house has late C17
chamfered stone architraves and late C18 six-pane sashes. Interior: noted as
having bolection-moulded fireplaces and mid C18 panelled rooms. Built for the
use of the Rector of Bladon. Edward Strong was owner of the Taynton quarries and
therefore deeply involved in the building of Blenheim Palace: this was one of
the houses which Sarah Churchill alleged had been built from stone paid for by
the Blenheim account, and this would account for the additions to the house.
(information from VCH; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p858)


Listing NGR: SP4431016707

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.