History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Walls, Towers and Grotto About 100 Metres South South West of the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Claydon, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.105 / 52°6'18"N

Longitude: 1.1197 / 1°7'10"E

OS Eastings: 613741

OS Northings: 249777

OS Grid: TM137497

Mapcode National: GBR TM2.V7P

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.CC84

Entry Name: Garden Walls, Towers and Grotto About 100 Metres South South West of the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 25 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434326

Location: Claydon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Claydon

Built-Up Area: Claydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-
CLAYDON -
TM 14 NW
Garden walls, towers and
7/10000 grotto about 100m SSW of
The Old Rectory
GV II
Garden walls, towers and grotto. Circa mid C19 for the Rev George
Drury. Flint and brick with stone dressings; plain tile pyramidal
tower roofs. High walls around an approximately rectangular
garden enclosure, projecting on the NE corner and with a tower
on the SE corner, another tower and polygonal spur-wall on the
NW corner and an underground grotto (now filled in) immediately
to the SW. The walls have buttresses and a polygonal turret on
the SW corner; the east wall has a moulded 4-centre arch doorway
with flanking buttress and ball finials on the raised parapet
above; doorway on S side has hoodmould and moulded pointed arch
doorway in NW spur-wall with flanking depressed 2-centred arches.
The towers have long-and-short quoins, the NW with Saxon-type
window and pigeon holes under eaves, the taller SE tower has
mullion transom window and band of flint and stone chequerwork
under eaves and wrought iron weathervane at apex of roof. Inner
sides of the garden walls are partly faced in random brick on
edge. Shaped tile coping. The underground grotto to the SW is
lined in shellwork and appears to be earlier than 1850 (Pevsner).
Some of the material is said to have come from the transepts and
chancel (demolished 1852) of Claydon church.
Note: Drury was a Tractarian. He reputedly built the garden as
a Biblical allegory.
Source: Buildings of England p170.


Listing NGR: TM1374149777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.