This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8176 / 50°49'3"N
Longitude: -3.606 / 3°36'21"W
OS Eastings: 286961
OS Northings: 103235
OS Grid: SS869032
Mapcode National: GBR LC.XSBJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 36BY.2YQ
Plus Code: 9C2RR99V+2H
Entry Name: Stockleigh Mill
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433570
Location: Stockleigh Pomeroy, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Stockleigh Pomeroy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stockleigh Pomeroy St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 80 SE
Watermill, last used for fulling. First recorded 1293; present structure partly
late medieval; remodelled C18. Stone rubble and cob walls with steep hipped, almost
pyramidal, wheat-reed thatched roof. Square, 1-room plan with wheel position partly
enclosed to north side, probably breast shot. Built into bank to east. 2 storeys.
East front, i.e. first floor only at road level, has doorway, left with ledged door
and old oak unglazed window, right, with closely spaced mullions. Similar window to
south wall, ground floor and larger opening over. West front has leat exit, left
with old unglazed oak window over within walling of timber framing with wattle and
daub. Timber lacing continues from 1st floor sill level to almost half building
length. Window to right of leat exit within rubble walling rebuilt C18 or C19.
Wide doorway to ground floor right with pair of old ledged doors. Oak lintels. Old
oak rafter ends project from cob under eaves.
Interior has old wheel shaft in situ and timberwork for holding millstones.
Otherwise machinery removed. Heavy chamfered oak beams support old flooring. Some
older reused timber. Oak roof is probably C18 but is smoke-blackened possibly from
forge. C15/C16 oak jointed cruck, ie part of cruck post and truss blade, survives
from earlier roof in west wall towards north end.
In spite of the machinery having been removed this is a very unspoilt small
First recorded 1293 (Hoskins)
Listing NGR: SS8696103235
Other nearby listed buildings