History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial to Fairburn Family to West of Church of St Mary (12 Metres South South West of Memorial to John Brooks

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, Bury

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5292 / 53°31'45"N

Longitude: -2.2875 / 2°17'15"W

OS Eastings: 381038

OS Northings: 403655

OS Grid: SD810036

Mapcode National: GBR DWGM.KL

Mapcode Global: WH983.TKW9

Entry Name: Memorial to Fairburn Family to West of Church of St Mary (12 Metres South South West of Memorial to John Brooks

Listing Date: 23 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433338

Location: Bury, M25

County: Bury

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Prestwich St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Prestwich

Listing Text

SD 8103
CHURCH LANE
(west side)
326-/1/10013

Memorial to Fairbairn
family - to west of Church
of St Mary (12m SSW of
memorial to John Brooks,
qv)

GV II

Tomb chest, either c.1859-60 or c.1874-5. Commemorates Peter, son of William Fairbairn
(d.1859); John, eldest son of William Fairbairn (d.1867); George, 4th son of William Fairbairn
(d.1868); Sir William Fairbairn, L.L.D., First baronet of Ardwick (d.1874) and Dame Dorothy
Fairbairn his wife (d.1882). Polished grey granite on sandstone base. Broad rectangular base (with
remains of feet of former cast-iron railings), plain sandstone plinth, and shallow chest of elegant
design with deep cavetto sides and shallow hipped upper surface. the north slope of this bears the
inscriptions to the sons, and the south side to Sir William and Dame Dorothy Fairbairn. History:
Sir William Fairbairn (1789-1874), the eminent engineer, born at Kelso, the son of a farm servant,
began his engineering experience at coal mining sites in the north-east of England, came to
Manchester and formed partnership with James Lillie in 1817 making machinery for cotton mills,
member of Institute of Civil Engineers 1830, subsequently one of the pre-eminent bridge-building
and engineering consultants of the mid-C19. [Dictionary of National Biography (1900) vol. 18,
pp124-5].


Listing NGR: SD8103803655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.