History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II Listed Building in Ealing, Ealing

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5503 / 51°33'1"N

Longitude: -0.3532 / 0°21'11"W

OS Eastings: 514279

OS Northings: 184773

OS Grid: TQ142847

Mapcode National: GBR 5B.5LQ

Mapcode Global: VHFT6.T9ND

Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 13 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432207

Location: Ealing, London, UB5

County: Ealing

Electoral Ward/Division: Greenford Green

Built-Up Area: Ealing

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Barnabas Northolt Park

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Northolt

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:
TQ 18 SW NORTHOLT FAIRWAY

(north-west)
962-/1/10016 CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
II
Anglican Church. Designed from 1935-39, construction completed
in 1954; to the designs of Harold J. Gibbons. Brick in English
bond, with artificial stone dressings; concrete; tile roofs.
Chancel and nave continuous of eight round-arched bays, that
to ritual west end very high to mark entrance axis, then four
diminutive bays and flat roofed north and south aisles; three
broad round arches marking vestigial transept, expressed by
facing gables outside, and choir. Polygonal baptistery with
stone font to west end. Gambrel-roofed porch to southwest with
slender bell cote/tower rising behind. The chief interest of
the interior is the use of this continuous arcade to organise
the liturgical plan and the way in which secondary features,
such as the stair to the east end of the north aisle, are
clearly subsidiary to it. The variety in roof forms is also
noteworthy: transverse barrel vaults over the high bays
marking the entrance range; cambered vault continuous over
nave/chancel; aisle ceilings are coffered from cast concrete;
pair of shallow transverse barrel vaults to eastmost bays
south aisle. Organ loft reached by stairs under arcade. Carved
rood, with cross in the form of an anchor. Electric light
fixtures of original design. Two storey ancillary rooms to
ritual northeast. Interior surfaces concrete, painted in
original colour scheme in roof and at points of emphasis,
unpainted elsewhere. Statue of Christ over south portal.
Noteworthy interior features include a stone font. Although
the details are of an original character and the emphasis is
on formal play and pure geometries, the design is redolent
with medievalism.


Listing NGR: TQ1427984773

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.