History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Denbury Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Denbury, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.507 / 50°30'25"N

Longitude: -3.6593 / 3°39'33"W

OS Eastings: 282431

OS Northings: 68787

OS Grid: SX824687

Mapcode National: GBR QN.VFJZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 377Q.67N

Entry Name: Denbury Manor

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431860

Location: Denbury and Torbryan, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Denbury and Torbryan

Built-Up Area: Denbury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Denbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Denbury

Listing Text

SX 86 NW TORBRYAN SOUTH STREET
Denbury Village
4/45
- Denbury Manor

GV II

Large house. Late C17 or Cl8 (but basically probably an earlier structure).
Remodelled in 'Tudor' style in early or mid C19 and again in a mixture of C15 and
C16 styles for Walter Septimus Curtis between 1912 and 1914. Stone rubble,
rendered on south side. Slated roofs with lead ridges and hips. Built round four
sides of a narrow courtyard with the best rooms on the south and west sides; the
north side (where the main entrance now is) occupied by the kitchen before 1912.
Two storey with half-storey in south range. South front, in a romantic early or
mid C19 'Tudor' style, is 6 windows wide, the left-hand window in ground and second
storeys of five mullioned-and-transomed lights with small panes, set in a gabled
projection. 4-window centre-piece has windows with tall mullioned-and-transomed
wood casements and hood moulds in ground and second storeys; two dormer gables
with wood casements and hood-moulds above. Right-hand window of ground and second
storeys flanked by massive square pillars with decorative tops (now reduced in
height), and having sections of mock-battlement peeping out from behind them.
Second-storey windows canted oriel with moulded base; above it a large dormer
gable like those in centrepiece. West front (the original entrance) abuts the two-
window side-elevation of south range to right. It consists of a 4-window section
to left, with 6-pane barred sashes in all but the two left-hand ground-storey
window which have C20 wood casements. To right, a 2-window projection with hipped
roof, the windows all C20 mullioned-and-transomed wood casements. To left an older
doorway with two-centred arch. North front has large C20 projection in centre with
'Tudor' doorway and diamond leaded stone mullion windows; to right in second
storey a corbelled projecting stone chimney, the top of which has been removed. In
roof, off-centre to left a large stone chimney with tapered top. In east front, at
south end, a large mock gothic stair window of early or mid C19. In west range,
re-set, a C17 straight-headed wood doorway with ovolo and hollow mouldings and
large urn stop. Old plank door with wrought-iron strap-hinges having fleur-de-Lys
terminals; added C19 or C20 wood ribs. Upper part of early or mid C19 staircase,
with mock Gothic detail, survives at south end. East ridge has in ground storey a
3-light wood ovolo-moulded mullioned window with diagonally-set vertical bar in
each light (possible re-set). In south wall of north range, in second storey, two
mullioned-and-transomed wood windows of late C17 or early C18, with rectangular
leaded lights. South range has several with raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded
panels. Roofs of east, west and north ranges C18 or early C19. Interior: large
fireplace in present entrance-hall, formerly the kitchen, has segmented arch with
voussoirs and evidence of a former oven on left-hand side. Reference to 1912 and
1914 work for Walter Septimus Curtis from Mrs Tate of Denbury. Pevsner Buildings of
England 1952 describes the Manor as originally a cell of the monks of Tavistock and
some later medievalizations done by Hurrell Froude in 1825.


Listing NGR: SX8243168787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.