History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall of Denbury Manor from Gatehouse to South Entrance with Two Summerhouses and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Denbury and Torbryan, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5063 / 50°30'22"N

Longitude: -3.6594 / 3°39'33"W

OS Eastings: 282424

OS Northings: 68707

OS Grid: SX824687

Mapcode National: GBR QN.VFK7

Mapcode Global: FRA 377Q.D5S

Entry Name: Boundary Wall of Denbury Manor from Gatehouse to South Entrance with Two Summerhouses and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431863

Location: Denbury and Torbryan, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Denbury and Torbryan

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Denbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Denbury

Listing Text

SX 86 NW TORBRYAN SOUTH STREET
Denbury Village
4/48 Boundary wall of Denbury Manor
- from gatehouse to south entrance
- with Two summerhouses and gate piers.
II
Boundary wall, including 2 summerhouses, the south gateposts and garden wall
running north-east to house. Probably built between 1912 and 1914. Wall of stone
rubble extending from gatehouse on north-west to gate-posts of south entrance on
the east. Height varies from nearly five metres at the gatehouse to just over 2
metres at the south gate. Gable coping of small stones set in cement. The stretch
along western boundary has a granite bandcourse (possibly a former coping) at a
height of about 3 metres. South gateposts are square in section with pyramidical
tops; pair of plank gates with long strap hinges. Features inside grounds almost
certainly date from 1912-14. A single-storey garden house backing on to western
boundary wall. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slated roof, gabled with stone
copings and kneelers. Open arcade of three round-headed arches flanked by
buttresses; further buttresses at each end and against gables. Secondly to right
a similar building, but flat-roofed and with only one arch. Thirdly a garden wall,
similar to boundary wall, links latter with south-west corner of house; contains
round-arched doorway with flanking buttresses, raised parapet over, and wrought-
iron gate.


Listing NGR: SX8242468707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.