History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Greasley, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0197 / 53°1'11"N

Longitude: -1.2718 / 1°16'18"W

OS Eastings: 448943

OS Northings: 347184

OS Grid: SK489471

Mapcode National: GBR 7F9.P87

Mapcode Global: WHDGJ.FCLC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 25 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429412

Location: Greasley, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG16

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Broxtowe

Civil Parish: Greasley

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Greasley

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Heanor

Listing Text

SK 44 NE GREASLEY MAIN ROAD
Greasley
(south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary
13/10/66
GV II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

SK 44 NE GREASLEY CHURCH ROAD
Greasley
(south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary
13/10/66
GV II

------------------------------------

SK 44 NE GREASLEY MAIN ROAD
Greasley
(south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary
13.10.66
G.V. II

Parish church. Mid C15. Restored 1753, 1772, 1832, 1882. Nave
and chancel rebuilt 1896. Vestries added 1910 and 1962. Coursed
and squared rubble and ashlar. Gabled and lean-to plain tile
roofs. Chamfered plinth. Coved and chamfered eaves. Ashlar
side wall stack. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south
aisles, vestries. West tower, mid C15, 3 stages, has chamfered
and moulded plinth, coved string courses and eaves, 4 gargoyles,
crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. 4 pairs of
corner buttresses, 5 setoffs. First stage has to west, moulded
doorway with hood mould and above it, cusped triple lancet with
panel tracery and hood mould. Second stage has a light to south
and west. Third stage has on each side 2 double round headed
lancets with panel tracery and hood mould. Buttressed north
aisle, 3 bays, has dated rainwater heads and 3 untraceried triple
lancets. South aisle is identical. Nave has coped east gable
with cross and a small lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north C15
triple lancet and to east, a corner buttress and shouldered coped
gable with cross. Cusped Decorated triple lancet. South side
has to east, large buttress. To west, 2 triple lancets, C15,
restored, with coved reveals. North vestry has a diagonal
buttress and to north, a door and a double lancet. To east, a
similar lancet. Gabled south vestry has to east and to south,
leaded metal casements. Tall tower arch, double chamfered and
rebated, has conical imposts. Late C19 glazed draught screen.
Nave arcades, 3 bays, have octagonal piers and responds, with
plain bases and moulded capitals. Double chamfered and rebated
arches with hood moulds. East gable has stained glass quatrefoil
window. Moulded.kingpost roof with arch braces and shield
bosses. Aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces. North aisle
east end has pointed opening containing organ. South aisle east
end window incorporates C15 stained glass installed 1960. South
side east window has stained glass c.1950. Chancel has moulded
arch with hood mould and stops plus crested, traceried oak
Memorial screen, 1919. North side has opening containing organ.
East end has C19 ashlar reredos and stained glass War Memorial
window, 1948. South side has to east, window incorporating
stained glass from Beauvale Priory, 1947, and to west, stained
glass Diocesan window, c.1950. Fittings include plain octagonal
font, C14, on round base. Arcaded round pulpit, late C19. C18
balustraded altar rail. C19 and late C20 stalls, benches and
desks. 4 slate tablets with shaped heads, C18, with
Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer. Slate tablet and obelisk-
shaped tablet referring to charities, late C18. Monuments
include large marble tablet with apron, obelisk and crest, 1703.
Large marble tablet with recess containing half figure below
broken pediment and crest, to Lancelot Roileston (sic) 1682.
Marble and slate tablets to Rolleston family, 1749, 1770, 1802,
1844. 3 marble and slate tablets mid C18 and C19. Brasses late
C16, 1694, late C17, 1712, mid and later C19 and C20. Cased Roll
of Honour 1939-45.


Listing NGR: SK4894347184


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.