History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Catford Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Huish Champflower, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0586 / 51°3'31"N

Longitude: -3.3972 / 3°23'49"W

OS Eastings: 302176

OS Northings: 129739

OS Grid: ST021297

Mapcode National: GBR LM.FR5K

Mapcode Global: FRA 36SB.0BH

Entry Name: Catford Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263863

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429466

Location: Huish Champflower, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Huish Champflower

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Huish Champflower

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Upton

Listing Text


ST02NW HUISH CHAMPFLOWER CP -

11/89 Catford Farmhouse
-

GV II


Shown on OS map as Catford West. Farmhouse subsequently converted to 2 cottages, now single dwelling. Possibly C16 long
house, altered and enlarged C17, date 1679 said to be visible in roof space, altered subsequently, refenestrated and
restored 1985. Rendered over rubble and cob, slate roof, roughcast stacks gable ends, to left of entrance and between
first and second bays left. Plan complex, 4-cell with cross passage opening into C17 staircase wing, barn (qv) abutting
on facade between first and second bays left. Two storeys, 1:2:1 bays, all late C20 2 and 3-light wooden casements,
entrance between first and second bays right, plank door, Interior: peaked doorrase to hall right and on opposite
wall, moulded doorframe with ornate stops reset to staircase wing, evidence that earlier winder stair stood in angle of
wall adjoining, chamfered lintel to cross passage fireplace, steeply chamfered lateral beams with step and runout
stops, similar in narrow room adjoining to left, end room left featureless with inserted C19 staircase, Evidence of a
blocked window opening on the exterior wall in the adjoining barn. Upper storey centre room left with unusual square
headed moulded plasterwork surround to fireplace with Royal Coat of Arms above, on opposite wall concealed in roof
space remains of plasterwork to barrel vault roof on cob wall; one jointed cruck truss visible. More plasterwork
decoration above hall stack in end room right, said to carry the date 1679. The settlement is documented in the early
Middle Ages. Formerly known as Catford Cottages. (VAG reports unpublished SRO, December 1977; VCH Somerset Vol V,
1985).


Listing NGR: ST0217629739

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.