This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.023 / 53°1'22"N
Longitude: -1.0599 / 1°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 463151
OS Northings: 347711
OS Grid: SK631477
Mapcode National: GBR 9J7.GTQ
Mapcode Global: WHFHR.P8GV
Plus Code: 9C5W2WFR+52
Entry Name: Church of St Swithun
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425424
Location: Woodborough, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG14
Civil Parish: Woodborough
Built-Up Area: Woodborough
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Woodborough
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
WOODBOROUGH MAIN STREET
SK 64 NW
5/161 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1891-97. Coursed
and squared rubble and dressed stone. Moulded and chamfered
plinths, chamfered eaves, coped gables with kneelers and
crosses. Single buttressed ashlar gable stack. West tower,
nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower,
C13 and C15, 2 stages, has coved string course and eaves band,
crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. Pair of diagonal
buttresses, 3 setoffs. First stage has to south, a light. West
side has chamfered four centred arched doorway and above it,
similar C15 triple lancet. North side has clock. Second stage
has 4 restored cusped double lancets. Nave clerestory, 3 bays,
restored C19, has to north 2 and to south 3 round headed windows.
Each side has to east, a restored C14 kneeler. North aisle, late
C15, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses. Central re-set doorway.
C12, 3 orders, with scalloped capitals, cabling and zigzag bands.
Flanked by single restored double lancets with square headed
reveals and hood moulds. Similar south aisle has 2 similar
lancets. Chancel, mid C14, 3 bays, has moulded sill band and
elaborate plinth. On each side 2 gabled buttresses. East end
has 2 diagonal buttresses. Each has a pair of gargoyles. On
each side, 2 double reticulated lancets with moulded reveals and
hood moulds. East end has 5 light lancet with flowing tracery
and hood mould. Above it, traceried lancet with apron containing
2 shields. Vestry, mid C20, has flat roof with parapet and a
mullioned casement to east and to south. South porch, rebuilt
late C19, has flat roof, moulded eaves band and parapet.
Chamfered round headed doorway with imposts. Interior has 2
stone benches and vaulted roof. Doorway, C14, has keeled
moulding, hood mould with stops, and restored Cl7 plank door.
Nave arcades, late C14, 3 bays, have each 2 octagonal piers and
responds with moulded bases and capitals. Chamfered and rebated
arches have hood moulds with stops. Collar purlin roof, altered
late C19, with large tie beams, arch braces and struts. Tower
arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with conical imposts.
Late C19 oak screen, C14 style, incorporating C14 fragments.
Tower chamber has moulded stone benches. North aisle has on
north side, stained glass windows 1908 and 1907. South aisle has
to east, moulded sill band. South side has to east C13 chamfered
trefoil headed piscina. To its right, stained glass windows 1908
and 1909. Both aisles have late C19 lean-to roofs. Chancel
arch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould
and filleted responds. Chancel has moulded sill band. North
side has to west, stained glass by Morris & Co., 1910, to Burne-
Jones design. To its right, stained glass window, 1882, and
square aumbry with C18 door. East end has window with moulded
reveal, hood mould and stained glass by Kempe, 1897. Flanked by
single large mask corbels, said to be Edward III and Eleanor of
Aquitaine. South side has to east cusped piscina with filleted
shaft and ogee head. To its right, restored C14 sedilia with
pierced quatrefoils and keel moulded surround. To its right,
stained glass window, 1909, and memorial window, 1919. Most
chancel windows incorporate early C14 stained glass fragments.
Fittings include tub font, C12, with zigzag decoration.
Octagonal buttressed cover, 1846. Early Cl7 communion table with
fluted bulbous legs. Cl7 chest on stand. Late C19 traceried
octagonal oak pulpit, lectern and C14 style stalls and benches.
Memorials include homiletic tablet signed 'Willm Edge, 1770'.
Early C18 tablet to Montagu family. 3 brasses C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK6315147711
Other nearby listed buildings