This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5954 / 52°35'43"N
Longitude: -0.6782 / 0°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 489632
OS Northings: 300552
OS Grid: SK896005
Mapcode National: GBR DTY.9CD
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.K184
Plus Code: 9C4XH8WC+5P
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427491
Location: Glaston, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Glaston
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Glaston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GLASTON CHURCH LANE
10.11.55 Church of St
Parish church. C12 in origin, with tower and N arcade surviving from that date;
spire added early C13; N aisle rebuilt mid C14 but very much restored C19; nave
and chancel rebuilt later C14; all considerably restored 1862; S porch rebuilt
1880. Coursed limestone rubble, lead roof to nave, slate roofs to remainder.
Nave, N aisle with vestry bay at E end, S porch, central tower, chancel. Nave
has large C19 3-light traceried window in W end, C19 buttresses, and 2-bay
clerestory of small rectangular windows with 2 cusped lights and hoodmoulds.
Both S side of nave and chancel have course of ballflower ornament just below the
eaves, and 2 bays of 3-light traceried windows with flat heads. Nave also has
fragment of high string course terminating in a carved head at SW corner. S door
has moulded arch, jambs and imposts, and gabled porch with moulded arch and
remains of carved head stops to hoodmould. N aisle has parapet, small blocked W
window, and 3 bays of Decorated windows. Window in W bay is of 2-lights,
remainder are of 3-lights with reticulated tracery. Similar windows to vestry
bay. Central tower is of 2 stages with very stumpy broach spire and C16 2-light
openings to bell-chamber. S side has smaller similar window below, and slight
stair projections. Chancel has N and S fenestration as described, C19 3-light
window with reticulated tracery in E end, and S door. Interior is much restored
and scraped but retains good N arcade. This is of 3 bays, the W bay with double
chamfered arch, the E bays with only slightly pointed moulded arches on octagonal
piers. Piers have waterleaf capitals, and there are carved heads at the apex of
each arch. Tie-beams of nave roof are dated 1744 and 1750. Tower arches are of
2 orders, the inner chamfered, the outer unmoulded. Between tower and vestry is
doorway with triple chamfered arch. Chancel has cusped ogee piscina, triple
sedilia with chamfered arches, and C19 roof on C19 carved foliage corbels.
Fittings are C19, with much stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Some C18
memorial tablets remain but older monuments were removed during C19 restoration.
(Memorials of Glaston c/o The Rectory).
Listing NGR: SK8963200552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings