This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5111 / 51°30'39"N
Longitude: -0.1274 / 0°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 530046
OS Northings: 180793
OS Grid: TQ300807
Mapcode National: GBR HD.KH
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R80X
Entry Name: The Albery
Listing Date: 27 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426956
Location: Westminster, Greater London Authority, WC2N
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER ST. MARTIN'S LANE, WC2
27.6.63 The Albery (Formerly
The New Theatre)
Theatre. 1903 by W.G. Sprague, Frank Matcham's pupil and collaborator,
Claude Ponsonby consultant for interior decoration. Portland stone front,
with short return to brick side, slate roof. Free Classical eclecticism.
3 and 4 storeys. 9 windows wide, with 5 central bays slightly advanced.
Arcaded entrances beneath iron and glass canopy across ground floor, its
centre part ornamented and probably original. The 1st and 2nd floors,
articulated by giant Ionic order, have central 1st floor windows in 5 bay
arcaded loggia; architraved windows above. Bold crowning entablature and
balustraded parapet with ball finials on dies. The parapet interrupted by
the broad pediment over the advanced centre bays and with carved tympanum.
3 window south return in same style contained by plain flank of auditorium.
The auditorium interior is in restrained French neo-classical taste with
coupled Doric half-columns and pilasters; 3 bombé fronted tiers of
balconies and 3 tier stage boxes within reveal of proscenium arch; main
ceiling with shallow dome; delicate painted decoration and graceful
"Louis XVI" stucco reliefs and mouldings with ormulu tripod lamps to the
1st balcony wall and ormulu and stucco sconces to the balcony fronts and
2nd balcony wall, etc.
The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson.
Listing NGR: TQ3003980795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings