History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Knottingley, Wakefield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7116 / 53°42'41"N

Longitude: -1.2737 / 1°16'25"W

OS Eastings: 448036

OS Northings: 424150

OS Grid: SE480241

Mapcode National: GBR MTKJ.17

Mapcode Global: WHDC1.DZQ0

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 18 December 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425999

Location: Wakefield, WF11

County: Wakefield

Electoral Ward/Division: Knottingley

Built-Up Area: Knottingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ferrybridge St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knottingley

Listing Text

KNOTTINGLEY PONTEFRACT ROAD
SE42SE
(south side)
Ferrybridge
Church of St. Andrew
5/39
18.12.1963 (formerly listed in
Ferrybridge)
- II
Church. C12 and c.1500; restored in C19 and removed to this site with
alterations, 1952-3. Magnesian limestone blocks, brought to courses (now
cladding internal structure of modern common brick), slate roof. Nave
embracing west tower, north porch, south aisle (formerly north aisle),
chancel with south chapel. Short 4-bay nave has in centre of north side a
gabled porch protecting late C12 2-centred arched doorway with 2 orders of
chamfer and colonnettes with waterleaf capitals, hoodmould with nail-head
decoration (former south doorway re-located in this position when church was
moved); to the left of porch, a C19 arched 2-light window, and left of this a
C15 square-headed 4-light window with ogee-traceried heads; to right of
porch, a cusped lancet, and further right 2 small lancets on different levels
(this part being stair turret to tower). Tower has a round-headed west window
in the lower and its upper stage (breaking through nave) has square belfry
louvres, dripmould, and embattled parapet. Chancel has two 2-light windows
of similar form, and similar 3-light east window. South aisle (formerly
north aisle) has C19 windows of similar design, (modern flat-roof vestry
attached at east end, not of special interest).
Interior: round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, and in outer wall of
tower a C12 round-headed west window with splayed reveal; 2-centred double-
chamfered chancel arch with moulded caps to responds; 3-bay aisle arcade and
2-bay chapel arcade, both with octagonal columns, moulded caps, and 2-centred
double-chamfered arches; tub font with reeded decoration to the side (perhaps
C12); wall monuments include (i) in south aisle, a fine carved cartouche to
Eleanor Crowle (d.1765) with angel head on apron; (ii) wall tablet to George
Crowle (d.1744), in aedicule with broken pediment and apron with similar
angel head.


Listing NGR: SE4803624150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.