This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6075 / 53°36'27"N
Longitude: -1.3796 / 1°22'46"W
OS Eastings: 441149
OS Northings: 412505
OS Grid: SE411125
Mapcode National: GBR LVTQ.4J
Mapcode Global: WHDCK.SL88
Plus Code: 9C5WJJ5C+25
Entry Name: Holgate's Hospital: South Range
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Last Amended: 11 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425350
Location: South Hiendley, Wakefield, WF9
Civil Parish: South Hiendley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Felkirk St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Holgate's Hospital: south range
(formerly listed by inclusion under "Archbishop Holgate's Hospital with Chapel,
Porters Lodge and Master's House").
One of 2 ranges of almshouses with entrance archway and porter's lodge.
1859-60, enlarged 1913, altered. Red brick with bands of blue brick,
sandstone dressings, tiled roof. Long rectangular plan centred on entrance
block with porter's lodge, formerly with 8 cottages (4 each side) but
enlarged to 12 (2 added at each end). Single storey, with 2-storey centre
block; symmetrical composition in Gothic style; entrance block of 2 storeys
and 3 bays has central archway flanked by chamfered pilasters finished with
stone gablets each containing a shield and a bishop's mitre, and between
these a deep arched stone band lettered "HOSPITAL.OF.ROBERT.HOLGATE.ABP.
FD.1555"; at lst floor above this, rising into a large central gable, a 2-
centred arched plate-traceried 2-light window with chamfered surround,
hoodmould with figured stops, and brick extrados; the outer bays each have
one window on each floor, all of cusped-plate traceried lights, with deep
chamfered sills and rectangular lintels, the upper rising into dormer
gablets; steeply-pitched gablets and gables, all with raised verges, and flat
stone copings with ridged kneelers, and that in the centre with stepped apex:
roof with fishscale bands, ridge chimney to right of centre. The low single-
storey side ranges each consist of 6 cottages grouped in pairs, each pair
having a recessed porch flanked by bay windows in a single composition of
unusual and striking design: the porch has a trefoil-headed archway with
moulded stone head and hoodmould, which carries round the bays, brick
extrados, and steeply-pitched gablet with stepped apex, and the flanking bay
windows are triangular, with high crow-stepped parapets; there is a doorway
in each side of the porch and a small 2-light window in its recessed rear
wall; and a vertical rectangular window in each face of each bay, with stone
sill- and head-bands and altered glazing. The 2-bay linking ranges have
similar windows with stone sills and heads, and saw-toothed eaves bands; roof
with fish-scale bands and some cockscomb ridging tiles, and tall corniced
ridge chimneys. The added pairs at each end are in matching style but of
slightly more generous proportions, that at the left end with the date "1913"
over the porch; and the roofs lack the bands. Rear: each pair of cottages
has a recessed rear porch, but the design is otherwise plainer.
Interior: 1st floor of entrance block contains Board Room, with fireplace in
elaborate stone surround lettered "HOSP.ROBT.HOLGATE" "FOUNDED 1555.REBT.
1860". Each cottage consists of three small rooms: sitting room, scullery
(now kitchen) and bedroom (partitioned to make bathroom) but layouts differ
History: Robert Holgate of Hemsworth, moderate Protestant Reformer of the
English Reformation, became Archbishop of York in 1545, married, was deprived
of his See by Mary; and in his will, endowed the almshouse at his birthplace.
The present buildings (occupying the 3rd site), were designed 1857-59 as part
of a quadrangle, with a pair of intended ranges (not built) at each end in
addition to this item and the north range and Master's House (q.v.); as shown
by the architect's drawing in the Board Room. References: A. G. Dickens The
English Reformation (1964) pp 244-5; Kate Taylor Wakefield District Heritage
(Wakefield, 1976) Vol I pp 46-7.
(Note: item crosses parish boundary, approx 1/3 being in HEMSWORTH CP to the
Listing NGR: SE4114912505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings