This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6082 / 53°36'29"N
Longitude: -1.3797 / 1°22'46"W
OS Eastings: 441142
OS Northings: 412579
OS Grid: SE411125
Mapcode National: GBR LVTQ.39
Mapcode Global: WHDCK.SK6R
Plus Code: 9C5WJJ5C+74
Entry Name: Holgate's Hospital: North Range
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Last Amended: 11 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425351
Location: South Hiendley, Wakefield, WF9
Civil Parish: South Hiendley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Felkirk St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Holgate's Hospital: north range (including chapel)
(formerly listed by inclusion under "Archbishop Holgate's Hospital with Chapel,
Porter's Lodge and Master's House").
One of 2 ranges of almshouses, with chapel, 1859-60; altered. Red brick with
bands of blue brick, sandstone dressings, tiled roof. Long rectangular plan
centred on chapel, with 12 cottages (6 to each side). Single-storey except
for chapel; symmetrical composition, in High Victorian Gothic style. The
central chapel projects, presenting a 2-storey 2-bay steeply-pitched gabled
facade which has 2-stage corner pilasters with pyramidal stone caps, and a
central pilaster, has a foliated carved stone band carried round, below this
a 3-bay blind arcade of stone in each bay, with deep chamfered sill,
colonnettes, 2-centred arches and triangular zig-zagged hoodmould with
figured stops; above the band, 2 plate-traceried 2-light windows with central
colonnettes and quatrefoil heads, and between these (continued from the
pilaster below) a statue of a bishop protected by a cusped canopy on slender
shafts; above the canopy, an unusual cylindrical shaft rises to the full
height of the gable, detached except for links to 2 stone bands in the gable
and to the apex, where it becomes the front colonnette to a diagonally-
flaunted stone bellcote with a tall pyramidal cap surmounted by a weather
vane. The side walls have doorways under stone gables. At the rear, the
chapel has an apsidal "east" end with lancet windows. The low single-storey
side ranges each consist of 6 cottages grouped in pairs, each pair having a
recessed porch flanked by bay windows in a single composition of unusual and
striking design: the porch has a trefoil-headed archway with moulded stone
head and hoodmould which carries round the bays, brick extrados, and steeply-
pitched gablet with stepped apex, and the flanking bay windows are
triangular, with high crow-stepped parapets; there is a doorway in each side
of the porch and a small 2-light window in its recessed rear wall; and a
vertical-rectangular window in each face of the bay, with stone sill and
head-bands and altered glazing. In the centre of each side range there is
also a semicircular bay with similar windows and conical roof; otherwise,
each linking range has 2 similar windows with stone sills and heads, and saw-
toothed eaves bands; roof with fish-scale bands, and tall corniced ridge
chimneys. Rear: each pair of cottages has a recessed porch, but the design
is otherwise plainer.
Interior: chapel is a small single cell of simpler design than the exterior;
otherwise, not inspected.
History: see Holgate's Hospital: south range.
(Note item crosses parish boundary, approx 1/3 being in HEMSWORTH CP to the
Listing NGR: SE4114212579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings