History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haggerston Branch Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Haggerston, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5357 / 51°32'8"N

Longitude: -0.0766 / 0°4'35"W

OS Eastings: 533495

OS Northings: 183624

OS Grid: TQ334836

Mapcode National: GBR V3.XN

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.MNBK

Entry Name: Haggerston Branch Library

Listing Date: 19 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426681

Location: Hackney, London, E2

County: London

District: Hackney

Electoral Ward/Division: Haggerston

Built-Up Area: Hackney

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Chad Haggerston

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shoreditch

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:
KINGSLAND ROAD
1.
5013
(east side)
Nos 234-236 (even)
TQ 3383 30/700 (Haggerston Branch
Library)
II GV

Library. Built as a house c1880; adapted for use as a library in 1893 by Richard
J Lovell; facade built and extended by 2 bays in 1896 by Maurice B Adams. Built
of brick with facade of Portland stone; gabled Welsh slate roofs; stone and brick
stacks. Double-depth plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys and basement; symmetrical
5-bay range. Stone steps rise to fielded 6-panelled door; projecting porch has
Corinthian pilasters and columns, and tablet set in broken pediment. Channelled
rustication to basement and ground floor, with band of Greek key ornament broken
by moulded ground-floor window architraves, which have enriched ornament, bracketed
cills and ornamental cast-iron guards; plain friezes, beneath cornices brought
forward from moulded storey bond, are inscribed SHOREDITCH/LIBRARY/HAGGERSTON/BRANCH.
Alternate segmental and triangular pediments with console brackets, to similar first
floor window architraves, which also have bead and reel ornament and have rosettes
carved on cills. Corinthian frieze and cornice surmounted by balustraded parapet
with vase finials, terminated by rusticated ashlar stacks with bracketed cornices.
Glazed roof lights to staircase and reading room to rear. Interior: Panelled
entrance hall, with half-glazed door leading to stair hall, which has rib-vaulted
stair-light with foliate brackets and panelled frieze. Ground floor room to right
has plaster cornice with console brackets. First floor rooms to front have enriched
plaster cornices, and panelled door set in pedimented doorcase; painted decoration
with arabesques to former reference library. History: This was the second library
established by donations from John Passmore Edwards.

Listing NGR: TQ3349583624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.