This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.0697 / 50°4'10"N
Longitude: -5.1665 / 5°9'59"W
OS Eastings: 173505
OS Northings: 23641
OS Grid: SW735236
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.PMZH
Mapcode Global: FRA 082T.M1S
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423533
Location: St. Martin-in-Meneage, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: St. Martin-in-Meneage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-Meneage
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 SW ST MARTIN ST. MARTIN
4/233 Church of St Martin
Parish church. C15 tower, otherwise rebuilt in 1830 and remodelled circa late C19.Serpentine and elvan rubble with dressed granite quoins, kneelers and copings. The tower has some dressed coarsed granite to the west wall otherwise rubble with
dressed granite doorway, plinth coping, string, parapet cornice, copings and
pinnacles. Low pitched scantle slate roof with wide eaves. West tower, C15; the rest of the church entirely rebuilt in 1830 with a rectangular aisle-less auditorium with 2 entrances flanking tower at the west end. 2 stage C15 tower is virtually complete with Perpendicular windows and hoodmoulds and relieving arches to all openings. Moulded pointed west doorway; 3-light traceried window over and 2-light traceried windows to 2nd stage, the west one glazed, the others louvered. The west door and the doors of the nave set back in pointed openings on either side are circa late C19 Gothic style with pointed traceried panels and heavily studded muntins, stiles and rails. Beside the right hand doorway are two slate headstones attached to the wall: One to John Southby. died 1771 aged 34, drowned by Accident and the other one to John Ralph, died 1795 aged 72. All the openings of the nave, 2 west doorways, 4 windows to both north and south walls and the wider east window were remodelled with pointed arches, mortar hoodmoulds and the windows were fitted with granite Y tracery. They were probably originally sashes.
Interior retains the original shallow barrel or basket-arch vaulted ceiling but the fittings are late C19.
This church is late Georgian rebuild but retaining its medieval tower, which is
virtually unaltered and a good example. The 1830 work was gothicised in the late
Listing NGR: SW7350523640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings