History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Rushden, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2886 / 52°17'19"N

Longitude: -0.5973 / 0°35'50"W

OS Eastings: 495772

OS Northings: 266536

OS Grid: SP957665

Mapcode National: GBR DYQ.KSQ

Mapcode Global: VHFPD.LQLX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1949

Last Amended: 17 June 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423015

Location: Rushden, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Rushden

Built-Up Area: Rushden

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rushden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stanwick

Listing Text

RUSHDEN HIGH STREET
SP9566NE (East side)
21/132 Church of St. Mary
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Mary)
GV I

Church. Early C13 origins, mainly mid C13 to mid C14. Regular coursed and
squared coursed limestone part banded and dressed with ironstone. Ashlar spire
and lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, transepts, north and south porches and
west tower. South elevation of south chapel is of 3-window range with two
3-light Perpendicular windows to right and one similar 2-light window to left.
4-centred arch head, hollow jambs and crocketted hood moulds with carved label
stops. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapets and pinnacle at corner. 3
east windows, centre is 5-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery,
4-centred arch head and crocketted hood moulded with carved label stops. South
aisle window to left is a similar 4-light window and north aisle window to right
is 5-light with 2-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar
parapets links with lean-to roofs of north and south chapels. North elevation of
north chapel is of 2-window range of 3- and 4-light Perpendicular windows with
4-centred arch heads, hollow jambs and carved label stops. Lean-to roof with
castellated ashlar parapets and octagonal turret at north-east corner with
similar parapet. South transept has 3-light south window with Y-tracery and
cusping. 3-light Perpendicular east window with panel tracery. Shallow gable
roof with head and ball-flower decoration to cornice and ironstone parapet.
North transept has 4-light north window with tracery and 6 trefoils. 2-light
east and west windows, trefoils and similar high level window adjacent to inside
corner of each elevation. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet and centre
gargoyle in each face. South elevation of south aisle of 2 bays, one-window
range-with 3-light Perpendicular window to right with panel tracery and
4-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets.
Single-light arch-head west window. Gabled porch to left bay has moulded inner
and outer doorways and ashlar gable parapets with square finial. North elevation
of north aisle is similar to south: one-window range. 2-storey gabled porch to
right bay has fine ogee head outer doorway with roll moulding and quatrefoils
with shields in the spandrels; niche above with pinnacles. Trefoil-head inner
door with one order of shafts. Plank and studded door with strap hinges. Vaulted
ceiling with ridge ribs and tiercerons. 3-light Perpendicular west window and
shallow gabled roof with plain parapets. Nave clerestory of 5-window range with
three 2-light Perpendicular windows with 2-centred arch heads to west and 2
single-light square-head windows to east. Fine Perpendicular west tower of 4
stages with 3-stage, set back, angle buttresses to lower 3 stages. West doorway
has roll moulded surround and gabled porch with roll moulded outer arch. Stone
gabled roof with line of lower gable below linking with flying buttress to sides
of flanking angle buttresses. Rib vaulted ceiling. 3-light Perpendicular window
to west face of second stage. Diamond shape clock face surround to north and
west faces of third stage. Pair of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face
of fourth stage. Quatrefoil frieze and cusped diagonal friezes above. Corbel
table and parapet of openwork quatrefoils. Ribbed and crocketted pinnacles at
corners; Set back octagonal spire with large openwork crockets linked to
pinnacles with openwork flying buttresses. 3 tiers of lucarnes, the lower 2
tiers have mullions and transoms. Interior; 3-bay nave arcade of double
chamfered arches with octagonal piers; arches corresponding with the transepts
are larger. Double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and triple
chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered arches, with brackets across aisles,
corresponding with transepts. Triple chamfered arch to north chapel and moulded
arch set in square-head surround to south chapel has cusping in the spandrels
and figures at the springing. 2-bay arcade of Perpendicular arches with
4-centred heads and central quatrefoil piers between chancel and north and south
chapel. Fine strainer arch across nave corresponding with transepts has arched
top and bottom with mouchettes forming wheels in the spandrels and openwork
parapet with castellated top. Angels at the springing. Nave and aisle roofs with
moulded beans and bases and angel corbels. C19 screen across tower arch has copy
of strainer arch as upper section. Triple sedilia with piscina, to right of
altar, all have moulded trefoil heads and shafts. Double 2-light window above
into south chapel, now vestry. Niche to left of altar. Restored Perpendicular
screens across chancel, between chancel arches and across transepts.
Perpendicular pulpit. C13 octagonal font with stiff leaf decoration. Stained
glass: mid C15 glass to upper parts of chancel and south chapel east windows:
that in south chapel has some C14 insets and lower part of chancel is all C15.
Similar mid C15 glass depicting 4 apostles in north aisle window. South transept
and west windows of aisles all have stained glass, probably by Kempe. Monuments:
Robert Pemberton died 1608 and wife, standing monument, at east end of south
chapel, has 2 kneeling figures facing across a prayer desk. Flanking pilasters
with symbolic decoration and 8 kneeling figures at base; armorial device at
head. Monument is linked to walls by reredos with ogee-head arcade and
castellated parapet. Vestry behind. Sir Goddard Pemberton died 1616, north wall
of north chapel, reclining figure with armour under coffered arch with armorial
device above. John Ekins died 1677, north wall of north chapel, brass tablet
with flanking columns with pediment and armorial device over. Elizabeth Ekins
died 1662, north wall of north chapel, plain brass tablet with plain marble
surround. Various C18 and C19 inscribed tablets in floor of north chapel to
Fletcher family. Various C19 brass tablets to Satoris family also in north
chapel. The Pemberton, Ekins, Fletcher and Satoris family all in their time
lived at Rushden Hall (q.v.). Inscription on arch to south chapel to Hugh and
Julian Bocker who gave the south chapel to the church.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.394).


Listing NGR: SP9577266536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

RUSHDEN HIGH STREET
SP9566NE (East side)
21/132 Church of St. Mary
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Mary)
GV I

Church. Early C13 origins, mainly mid C13 to mid C14. Regular coursed and
squared coursed limestone part banded and dressed with ironstone. Ashlar spire
and lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, transepts, north and south porches and
west tower. South elevation of south chapel is of 3-window range with two
3-light Perpendicular windows to right and one similar 2-light window to left.
4-centred arch head, hollow jambs and crocketted hood moulds with carved label
stops. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapets and pinnacle at corner. 3
east windows, centre is 5-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery,
4-centred arch head and crocketted hood moulded with carved label stops. South
aisle window to left is a similar 4-light window and north aisle window to right
is 5-light with 2-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar
parapets links with lean-to roofs of north and south chapels. North elevation of
north chapel is of 2-window range of 3- and 4-light Perpendicular windows with
4-centred arch heads, hollow jambs and carved label stops. Lean-to roof with
castellated ashlar parapets and octagonal turret at north-east corner with
similar parapet. South transept has 3-light south window with Y-tracery and
cusping. 3-light Perpendicular east window with panel tracery. Shallow gable
roof with head and ball-flower decoration to cornice and ironstone parapet.
North transept has 4-light north window with tracery and 6 trefoils. 2-light
east and west windows, trefoils and similar high level window adjacent to inside
corner of each elevation. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet and centre
gargoyle in each face. South elevation of south aisle of 2 bays, one-window
range-with 3-light Perpendicular window to right with panel tracery and
4-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets.
Single-light arch-head west window. Gabled porch to left bay has moulded inner
and outer doorways and ashlar gable parapets with square finial. North elevation
of north aisle is similar to south: one-window range. 2-storey gabled porch to
right bay has fine ogee head outer doorway with roll moulding and quatrefoils
with shields in the spandrels; niche above with pinnacles. Trefoil-head inner
door with one order of shafts. Plank and studded door with strap hinges. Vaulted
ceiling with ridge ribs and tiercerons. 3-light Perpendicular west window and
shallow gabled roof with plain parapets. Nave clerestory of 5-window range with
three 2-light Perpendicular windows with 2-centred arch heads to west and 2
single-light square-head windows to east. Fine Perpendicular west tower of 4
stages with 3-stage, set back, angle buttresses to lower 3 stages. West doorway
has roll moulded surround and gabled porch with roll moulded outer arch. Stone
gabled roof with line of lower gable below linking with flying buttress to sides
of flanking angle buttresses. Rib vaulted ceiling. 3-light Perpendicular window
to west face of second stage. Diamond shape clock face surround to north and
west faces of third stage. Pair of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face
of fourth stage. Quatrefoil frieze and cusped diagonal friezes above. Corbel
table and parapet of openwork quatrefoils. Ribbed and crocketted pinnacles at
corners; Set back octagonal spire with large openwork crockets linked to
pinnacles with openwork flying buttresses. 3 tiers of lucarnes, the lower 2
tiers have mullions and transoms. Interior; 3-bay nave arcade of double
chamfered arches with octagonal piers; arches corresponding with the transepts
are larger. Double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and triple
chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered arches, with brackets across aisles,
corresponding with transepts. Triple chamfered arch to north chapel and moulded
arch set in square-head surround to south chapel has cusping in the spandrels
and figures at the springing. 2-bay arcade of Perpendicular arches with
4-centred heads and central quatrefoil piers between chancel and north and south
chapel. Fine strainer arch across nave corresponding with transepts has arched
top and bottom with mouchettes forming wheels in the spandrels and openwork
parapet with castellated top. Angels at the springing. Nave and aisle roofs with
moulded beans and bases and angel corbels. C19 screen across tower arch has copy
of strainer arch as upper section. Triple sedilia with piscina, to right of
altar, all have moulded trefoil heads and shafts. Double 2-light window above
into south chapel, now vestry. Niche to left of altar. Restored Perpendicular
screens across chancel, between chancel arches and across transepts.
Perpendicular pulpit. C13 octagonal font with stiff leaf decoration. Stained
glass: mid C15 glass to upper parts of chancel and south chapel east windows:
that in south chapel has some C14 insets and lower part of chancel is all C15.
Similar mid C15 glass depicting 4 apostles in north aisle window. South transept
and west windows of aisles all have stained glass, probably by Kempe. Monuments:
Robert Pemberton died 1608 and wife, standing monument, at east end of south
chapel, has 2 kneeling figures facing across a prayer desk. Flanking pilasters
with symbolic decoration and 8 kneeling figures at base; armorial device at
head. Monument is linked to walls by reredos with ogee-head arcade and
castellated parapet. Vestry behind. Sir Goddard Pemberton died 1616, north wall
of north chapel, reclining figure with armour under coffered arch with armorial
device above. John Ekins died 1677, north wall of north chapel, brass tablet
with flanking columns with pediment and armorial device over. Elizabeth Ekins
died 1662, north wall of north chapel, plain brass tablet with plain marble
surround. Various C18 and C19 inscribed tablets in floor of north chapel to
Fletcher family. Various C19 brass tablets to Satoris family also in north
chapel. The Pemberton, Ekins, Fletcher and Satoris family all in their time
lived at Rushden Hall (q.v.). Inscription on arch to south chapel to Hugh and
Julian Bocker who gave the south chapel to the church.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.394).


Listing NGR: SP9577266536

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.