History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cunnington Bros.

A Grade II Listed Building in Rushden, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2876 / 52°17'15"N

Longitude: -0.5944 / 0°35'40"W

OS Eastings: 495969

OS Northings: 266423

OS Grid: SP959664

Mapcode National: GBR DYR.DKD

Mapcode Global: VHFPD.NR3Q

Entry Name: Cunnington Bros.

Listing Date: 23 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 492718

Location: Rushden, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Rushden

Built-Up Area: Rushden

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rushden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stanwick

Listing Text


1740/0/10017 CRABB STREET
23-APR-04 Cunnington Bros.

II
Boot and shoe factory. c.1882. For Cunnington Bros. Major extension of c.1890 and smaller additions early C20 to 1923. Red and buff brick in chequer pattern with hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Long front to Crabb Street, the right hand part of 5 windows is the c.1882 build, the left hand part, 9 windows at first floor, of c.1890. Mostly multi-paned wooden windows. Brick segmental arches to ground and first floors and a painted narrow continuous lintel to top floor under a dentil frieze, the dentils being in buff brick. The 1890 part has 12 windows to top floor and 11 to ground floor with an entrance in a moulded stone doorcase to far left. On the first floor to right of this are 2 large tripartite sash windows with pediments lighting the office suite. The front to Park Road is similar with a projecting taking-in door bay to centre right which has a gable at the top and a door to each floor and crane hoist to right. The right end of this front has been slightly reduced at some period possibly to form a fire shield gap.
HISTORY.
Cunnington Bros. occupied this factory until at least 1937. In 1973 it was described as disused but there had been no major additions since 1923. Presently it is in commercial use again.
SOURCES.
EH Northamptonshire Boot and Shoe Industry Survey, Site Report No. 51.

This is a very good example of a purpose-built 3-storey boot and shoe factory in one of the important but smaller centres of the industry in Northamptonshire. It is little-altered and the chequer pattern brickwork is a striking feature and one which was carefully repeated when the major extension took place.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.