History in Structure

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Harewood, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9003 / 53°54'0"N

Longitude: -1.524 / 1°31'26"W

OS Eastings: 431373

OS Northings: 445003

OS Grid: SE313450

Mapcode National: GBR KRSB.VM

Mapcode Global: WHC90.K7HB

Plus Code: 9C5WWF2G+49

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422858

ID on this website: 101266157

Location: Harewood, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS17

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Harewood

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Collingham St Oswald with Harewood

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Church building English Gothic architecture

Find accommodation in


SE3145/3144 LS14 (south side, off)

Harewood Park
14/63 Church of All Saints


Parish church (redundant),C15 restored 1793 and 1862-3 by Sir G. G. Scott.
Well-coursed gritstone, Westmorland green-slate roof. West tower, nave aisles,
south porch, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular in style. Plinth, ground-floor
band, sill band. All corners have angle buttresses with offsets and crocketed
gablets. West front: low squat tower embraced by aisles with lean-to roofs has
pointed-arched doorway of 3 orders with hoodmould and carved-face stops with
above 5-light west window with panel tracery. Buttresses at junction with aisles.
Chamfered band, recessed 2nd stage has 2-light belfry window to each face. That
to south has large clock face. Embattled parapet with corner rainwater chutes.
Aisles have 3-light windows and clearly show earlier roof line below C19 embattled
parapet. 7-bay aisles with 2-light window to left of C18 porch with 2-centred
arched doorway with sundial in apex of gable engraved "Robert Smith 1775". Fine
inner doorway has moulded surround with broach stops with roof line of earlier
porch above. 3-light windows with cusped lights and panel tracery, hoodmoulds
with medieval carved-face stops. Articulated by offset buttresses with gablets;
one engraved with mass-dial. Band and parapet with Gothic roll-moulded coping.
3-light east windows in angle with chancel, embattled parapet. Chancel: single
3-light window. Set in angle with north-aisle, flat-roofed square vestry. 5-light
east window with Gothick glazed quatrefoil c1793 set in apex of embattled gable.
Buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles.

Interior: tower is penetrated by 3 tall pointed arches leading directly into 4-bay
nave which has graceful pointed-arched arcades carried on tall octagonal columns
without capitals the chamfers running into the 2 orders of the arches. C19 roof
carried on corbels at the junction of earlier roof line, the roof being raised
5 courses. Running round the aisle windows is a continuous moulded sill band.
Eastern 2 bays of aisles occupied by Chantry chapels: Gascoigne and Redman chapels.
Both are separated from the aisle by tall pointed arch in line with chancel arch,
each have niches flanking east window. Gascoigne (south) chapel has tomb recess
and semi-octagonal piscina.
The glory of the church are the set of medieval alabaster monuments restored 1979-81:
6 recumbent couples on tomb chests. One of the figures is Sir William Gascoigne,
Lord Chief Justice, in judge's robes c1419. They remain the largest collection of
alabaster monuments in a parish church within the dates 1419-1510. They are all
members of families connected with owners of land now forming the Harewood Estate.
Fine wall monument to Sir Thomas Denison c1765 by N. Hedges (London).
Furnishings: Norman font has shallow bowl and rope-moulded foot set on later base.
C19 octagonal pulpit, high Victorian Gothic with shafted marble columns and finely-
carved stone panels. Oak-panelled Sanctuary c1920. Altar rail and gates memorial
to King George V by H.R.H. Princess Royal in which is incorporated 4 insignia, the
Orders of the British Empire; the Thistle; the Garter; and St. Patrick.

In the care of the Redundant Churches Fund. Illustrated in D. Linstrum, West
Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978) pp162, 163. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire
West Riding (1974) p243. P. Routh and R. Knowles, The Medieval Monuments of Harewood,
(1985 - Wakefield Historical Publications).

Listing NGR: SE3137945005

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.