History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8091 / 51°48'32"N

Longitude: -1.6388 / 1°38'19"W

OS Eastings: 424996

OS Northings: 212334

OS Grid: SP249123

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.DJ6

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.JSZJ

Entry Name: Chapel of St John

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421459

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON PRIORY LANE
AND SIGNET (West End)
SP2412-2512; SP2512(Enlargement) Chapel of St John
5/181; 7/181 (Previously listed
12.9.55 with The Burford Priory
and chapel)

GV II*


Manor House Chapel. 1661-2 for William (Speaker) Lenthall restored 1937
by W H Godfrey. Ashlar with Cotswold stone roof. Rectangular box in
classicized Gothic. 2-bay flanks with 3 Ionic pilaster strips (the outer
ones corner piers) on high plinths; cornice and parapet, North bay with
panel supporting pediment with enriched tympanum. Skelton's engraving
shews a matching arrangement on south window too; end finials with crude
crocket-work. 2 traceried windows with ogee mouldings, the south one a
wheel window in square frame with ogee rosettes in spandrels of trefoil
ends and panels in the spandrels. The right-hand window is of 3-light
with round arches, central heart-shaped light and flanking mouchettes (a
sort of Oxford College Fontainbleau style), also set in square frames with
low relief dragons in spandrels. Shaped gables with tracery-panelled
saddle-stone finials. The south (ritual east) has arched 3-light window
of Serlian proportion but with a wheel-fanlight over. The north gable is
highly enriched with high relief royal arms; Corinthian pilastered
doorcase on 1st floor with pediment, cornice returned from sides, raised
up; ground floor door has lotus caps to plain pilasters and putti and
garland panels in the frieze. Interior: reconstructed plaster barrel
vault (c.1937) with guilloche panels, moulded cornice with egg and dart
bed-mould. Ashlar lined above wood panelled dado, latter restored in deal
with dentil cornice and drapery swagged enrichments to upper panels; main
panels have satin-wood veneer. Black insets to diamond-flag floor. The
main feature is the family pew at North End, with panelled front, recessed
in centre on spiral fluted Corinthian columns with enriched panel bases;
the door is framed by a remarkable sculpture of 2 angels and the burning
bush in deeply undercut stone. The windows are in carved 'panels with
moulded architraves, south window flanked by mural tablets and
inscriptions.
B of E Oxfordshire S Sherwood and NP pp 512; Country Life, 4 March 1911,
pp 306-315; 3 June 1939, pp 586-591; Oxoniensia Vol IV 1939, pp 71-88.


Listing NGR: SP2499712334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.