History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mary Harris Memorial Chapel, University of Exeter

A Grade II Listed Building in Exeter, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7336 / 50°44'0"N

Longitude: -3.5347 / 3°32'5"W

OS Eastings: 291788

OS Northings: 93782

OS Grid: SX917937

Mapcode National: GBR P0.PBWV

Mapcode Global: FRA 37H4.LR6

Entry Name: Mary Harris Memorial Chapel, University of Exeter

Listing Date: 29 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420592

Location: Exeter, Devon, EX4

County: Devon

District: Exeter

Town: Exeter

Electoral Ward/Division: Duryard and St James

Built-Up Area: Exeter

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Exeter St David

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Exeter

Listing Text

EXETER PRINCE OF WALES ROAD
(north-west side)
Mary Harris Memorial
SX 9193
11/1188 Chapel, University of
Exeter.
II

Chapel. Consec. 1958. Designed and paid for by E Vincent Harris, as a
memorial to his mother. Brick with stone dressings. Hipped slate roof with
stone finials at ridge ends, and secondary hips to bay windows. Rectangular
plan with polygonal apsidal ends. South front: symmetrical. Central round-
arched doorway with plank door and walled area in front. Above, a large
cross. To east and west, single, full height bay windows with stone mullions
and transoms and leaded lights, flanked by lead down-pipes. To west, a
projecting brick entrance vestibule with east facing round arched, moulded
stone doorway with double plank doors. Single stone lancet in south gable end
wall. To east a projecting brick vestry with a 3-light stone mullioned
window, and brick round arched doorway with plank door, in west wall.
Interior: very simple. West vestibule with open tread spiral staircase to
organ loft, and WWI and WWII memorial boards on west wall. Plain, square
doorway leads into chapel. Organ loft at west end above vestibule, with
wooden panelled balustrade and contemporary organ. Doorway to vestry at
south-east corner of chapel. Large cross on east wall. Ceiling decorated
with abstract vault patterns by W.T. Monnington, 1956. Contemporary panelled
pewing, and metal and glass altar candle holders. Plaque on south wall
inscribed: The Ceiling of this chapel was designed and executed in 1956 by
WALTER THOMAS MONNINGTON, R.A. Impleri cum cum spiritu Dei ad excogitandum
quidquid fabrefieri potest'. Tablet on north wall of chapel inscribed: 'THIS
THE MARY HARRIS MEMORIAL CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY OF
EXETER WAS THE GIFT OF E. VINCENT HARRIS O.B.E. R.A LL.D AND HIS WIFE EDITH IN
MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER CONSECRATED BY THE RIGHT REVEREND ROBERT LORD BISHOP OF
EXETER ON JUNE 26 IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD NINETEEN HUNDRED FIFTY EIGHT'.
Tiled and concrete flagged flooring.


Listing NGR: SX9178893782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.