This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8094 / 51°48'33"N
Longitude: -1.6349 / 1°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 425264
OS Northings: 212371
OS Grid: SP252123
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.FGZ
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.MS18
Entry Name: Burford Grammar School (Main Part Including Lenthall House)
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419538
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BURFORD AND UPTON CHURCH LANE
AND SIGNET (North Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) Burford Grammar School
7/40 (main part including
12.9.55 Lenthall House).
Grammar school. Rebuilt c.1570's for Simon Wysdom, altered and extended
mid-C19. Coursed and squared rubble, low pitched slate roof, coped
verges, ashlar chimney to right. 2 storeys; 1-5-1 bays; rebated hollow
chamfered mullion windows of 3 lights, altered ground floor left, lower
storey levels to right hand bay, string over 1st floor, 6 courses below
eaves. Tudor arch door within relieving arch to left of right hand bay,
ogee mouldings, plain spandrels. Tablet inserted over ground floor right-
hand window: "All law and praise be to God:/A. R. Reginde.
Elizabeth.xxi Symon. Wysdom, Alderman of Burford. Re-edified/.
and.buylded.this.howse. A.D'O 1579:" Over the ground floor are 3 tie
rods whose ends form the letters B.G.S.
Interior: in lobby of door the former decayed nail-studed door is
displayed; in ground floor East room a wide Tudor arch fire-place. The
East gable return has single-and 2-light mullion windows and central
chimney stack; to right is pointed doorway with light Tudor arching and
ogee and hollow mouldings like the door to front, label over. The school
extends North and East (Lenthall House), the link block is mid C19 the
North-east block is 1870s or 1880s, rough-faced rubble, 2 storeys and
attic in mansard plain tile roof; cross-mullion windows with relieving
arches over, the gable end to East breaks forward below a corbelled-out
attic end gable; stepped chimney to North return.
The date tablet was moved here from Simon Wysdom's Almshouses
Listing NGR: SP2526412371
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings