History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Steeping, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1533 / 53°9'11"N

Longitude: 0.1442 / 0°8'38"E

OS Eastings: 543476

OS Northings: 363943

OS Grid: TF434639

Mapcode National: GBR KVX.78B

Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.5ZXZ

Entry Name: Old Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419340

Location: Great Steeping, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Great Steeping

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Great Steeping All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Little Steeping

Listing Text

GREAT STEEPING CHURCH LANE
TF 46 SW
(south side)
3/51 Old Church of
All Saints

II*

Parish church, now redundant. 1748 on medieval base, restored
1908. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings, greenstone
rubble. Plain tiled roof with stone coped gables; parapet with
ashlar band and weatherboarded rectangular west bellcote of 1908
with rectangular slatted openings on each side and small
pyramidal roof. Nave and chancel under single roof, west
bellcote. Medieval greenstone rubble plinth with moulded ashlar
string course. West end with central doorway with moulded
architrave, raised keystone and fielded panelled door. Stone set
above inscribed with the date of erection: 1748, and date of
restoration: 1908. Flat ashlar band and pediment above. North
side with 2 semi-circular headed windows with moulded architraves
and raised keystones. East end with segmental headed greenstone
blocked opening with ashlar dressed narrow semi-circular headed
window of 1908 with raised keystone. Gable outline of demolished
chancel above. South side with 2 semi-circular headed windows
with moulded architrave and raised keystones. Sundial at
inbetween. Dismantled C19 furnishings inside with broken up
sections of dado, pulpit, pews, etc.


Listing NGR: TF4347663943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.