This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1567 / 53°9'24"N
Longitude: 0.1526 / 0°9'9"E
OS Eastings: 544031
OS Northings: 364335
OS Grid: TF440643
Mapcode National: GBR KVX.3DM
Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.9XXD
Entry Name: Great Steeping War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440859
Location: Great Steeping, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Great Steeping
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Great Steeping All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, by A W Fynn and unveiled on 9 November 1919.
First World War memorial, by A W Fynn, unveiled on 9 November 1919.
MATERIALS: Darley stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, and it comprises a c 4.5m high wheel-head Calvary cross bearing a figure of Christ and topped by a triangular roof. It is set upon a tapering shaft with a carved decorated collar upon a two-stage square and octagonal plinth, and a single-stepped base.
The inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD & IN/ LOVING & GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF THIS VILLAGE WHO LAID/ DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT/ EUROPEAN WAR 1914 – 1919/ “THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE”/ (NAMES). On the side face is the inscription TO THE LASTING HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Great Steeping as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who served in the First World War.
Twenty-five local men served during the Great War and three died on the battlefields of the Western Front. Not long after the signing of the Armistice in November 1918 the church, chapel and parishioners of Great Steeping formed a committee to consider an appropriate memorial for honouring all those twenty-five villagers. Their choice was a Calvary built in front of the Church of All Saints. Executed by E Browning and Sons at their monumental works on Ashby Road, Spilsby the carving on the memorial was the work of A W Fynn, an accomplished sculptor who had been awarded many prizes including a silver medal in an 1891 national competition. The cost of £80 was raised through public subscription and fund raising activities.
The unveiling and dedication by the vicar Reverend Cyril Arthur King took place on Sunday 9 November 1919.
Great Steeping War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a well-carved example of a hooded Calvary cross;
* Sculptural interest: as an excellent example of the work of A W Fynn, an accomplished sculptor;
* Group value: with the Church of All Saints (Grade II).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings