This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.663 / 50°39'46"N
Longitude: -4.7495 / 4°44'58"W
OS Eastings: 205780
OS Northings: 88423
OS Grid: SX057884
Mapcode National: GBR N1.7HV8
Mapcode Global: FRA 07YB.1J6
Plus Code: 9C2QM772+66
Entry Name: Hall of Chivalry and King Arthur's Great Exhibition Hall
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68840
Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34
Civil Parish: Tintagel
Built-Up Area: Tintagel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tintagel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 NE
4/179 Hall of Chivalry and King Arthur's
Great Exhibition Hall
King Arthur's Great Exhibition Hall and shop; open to the public and used as a
masonic lodge. Built as the headquarters for the Fellowship of the Round Table.
Circa late C19, the hall to rear added in 1929-1933, the erection of which was
inspired by Frederick Thomas Glassock.
Roughly coursed slate with granite dressing, slate roof with gable ends and parallel
range to rear with slate roof with gable ends. Slate stacks with moulded caps on
gable ends and rising from valley forming front lateral stacks to rear range.
Plan: Original plan much altered and extended. The original building was possibly of
a single depth 2 room plan with central entrance, extended to rear in circa late C19
or early C20 to form a double depth plan. In 1929-1933 the building was extended
further to the rear when King Arthur's Great Exhibition Hall was added.
2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3 window front, the central range set forward.
Central 2 storey canted bay. Ground floor has 2 canted bay windows in central
entrance with 4-centred arch. First floor with two 4-light mullion and transom
windows flanking central canted bay window. 2 full dormer windows in hipped roofs
with central gabled projection with 2-light window.
Interior in the smaller hall is a collection of oil paintings which were commissioned
from William Hatherell illustrating the principal symbolic events associated with
King Arthur and his Knights.
There is a wide collection of Cornish stones used in the Great Exhibition Hall, the
walls largely of local Tintagel stone and polyphant stone. The floor is of polyphant
stone decorated with a pattern of the Round Table in red mottled porphyry and 1 of
the cross of the Knights in white elvan. There are a total of 73 stained glass
windows by Miss Whall; 49 windows in the corridor portraying heraldic deuces of the
Knights of the Round Table or with some reference to their ideals and 3 large windows
at each end of the hall. The roofs are waggon vaulted with moulded oak ribs. Fine
collection of Arthurian literature.
Williams, Michael Tintagel 1971
King Arthur's Great Exhibition Hall leaflet
Listing NGR: SX0578088423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings