This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0999 / 51°5'59"N
Longitude: -0.798 / 0°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 484257
OS Northings: 134081
OS Grid: SU842340
Mapcode National: GBR DCG.WKX
Mapcode Global: FRA 9666.YQG
Plus Code: 9C3X36X2+WQ
Entry Name: Ludshott Manor
Listing Date: 7 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462534
Location: Bramshott and Liphook, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU30
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Bramshott and Liphook
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bramshott and Liphook St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
BRAMSHOTT AND LIPHOOK
SU 83 SW
Country House, now an old peoples home. 1827-8 remodelling and enlargement by P. F. Robinson, for Sir James Macdonald, of an earlier house; chapel added in 1870; C20 alterations. Dressed stone. Welsh slate roof with coped gables. Axial stacks with polygonal shafts. PLAN: The old house is contained in the north west wing. In 1827-8 it was remodelled as the south west garden front in the Tudor style and a large wing was added on the south east side with a south east entrance front having a tower on the north east corner. In 1870 a chapel was built on the north west side and in 1928 the main entrance was altered by Kitchen. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 4-bay SE front with large squat 3-storey tower on right and projecting gabled bay to left of centre with canted stone bay window on ground floor and armorial panel in gable; 1, 2 and 3-light stone mullion-transom windows with hoodmoulds and casements; to right of centre a chamfered 4-centred arch doorway with hoodmould inserted by Kitchen in 1928, the original doorway was to right at base of tower. Single-storey wing built on front of left bay later in C20. South west garden front has six gabled bays and 1870 chapel on left; three symmetrical gables at centre, the centre one advanced and with 1:3:1 4-centred arch windows on ground floor, oriel on first floor and blind loop above in gable, the flanking gabled bays have large canted bay windows on ground floor; to right the SE cross-wing with large centre gable flanked by smaller gables set back, C20 single-storey extension obscuring ground floor; to left the chapel with polygonal apse to LH [NW] end. INTERIOR: Much of the 1827-8 interior remains intact including Gothick joinery, panelled ceilings with bosses at the intersections of the ribs, moulded arches and a Gothick screen in the hall, the staircase behind has an C18 panelled dado, but the balustrade is C19. In 1928 Kitchen blocked the main entrance into the hall at the base of the tower and formed an entrance vestibule in the room to its left by inserting an Arts and Crafts glazed timber screen. The Victorian chapel has been subdivided. SOURCES: Colvin, H. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, page 701. Buildings of England, page 141. Robinson, P. F. Designs for Ornamental Villas , design no.XI.
Listing NGR: SU8425634085
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings