History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church and Attached Walls and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Chippenham, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4608 / 51°27'38"N

Longitude: -2.1167 / 2°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 391989

OS Northings: 173537

OS Grid: ST919735

Mapcode National: GBR 1R5.CNP

Mapcode Global: VH96C.8KB1

Plus Code: 9C3VFV6M+88

Entry Name: Methodist Church and Attached Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 22 June 1978

Last Amended: 16 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462365

Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chippenham

Built-Up Area: Chippenham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Chippenham

Listing Text


CHIPPENHAM

ST9173NE MONKTON HILL
930-1/6/151 (West side)
22/06/78 Methodist Church and attached walls
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
MONKTON HILL
(West side)
Methodist Church)

II

Methodist church. c1909. Limestone ashlar; coursed rubblestone
basement with freestone quoins and architraves; slate roof.
Standard rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 storeys to the right and rear due to
sloping site; symmetrical 5-window range. A modillion cornice
and blocking course encircle the building. 2-light windows
with leaded lights. The outer ranges and front ranges of the
returns are stepped forward, forming corner towers between
which a dentilled pediment with a keyed oculus spans the
central 3 ranges. Semicircular-arched windows with moulded
archivolts and keystones to the 1st floor, those to the front
and towers have plain fanlights; tall ones to the corner
towers; 3 shorter ones to the centre are flanked by engaged
Ionic columns resting on a continuous projecting apron.
Similar openings below are taller and wider with double doors
to the right-hand opening and a modillion cornice over the
columns. Ground-floor windows of the towers and basement
windows have flat arches and moulded architraves.
4 windows to both returns are articulated by plain pilasters;
moulded archivolts frame the 1st-floor windows and extend down
to the sill of those of the ground floor which are
flat-arched; 1st-floor windows are tall with semicircular
arches to each light and a circular pane to the top. Toward
the rear is a semicircular arch to a door, a 2-storey lean-to
is to the rear.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the rubblestone basement extends at the
front to form a platform with steps to the left. It has an
ashlar wall and gabled piers to the corners.
HISTORY: the site was bought in 1900 and "cleared and
excavated by men of the church 1902-3" Intended to mark the
centenary of Methodism in Chippenham.
(Chamberlain, Joseph A: Chippenham: Chippenham: 1976-: 143).

Listing NGR: ST9198973537

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.