This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2129 / 52°12'46"N
Longitude: 1.4956 / 1°29'44"E
OS Eastings: 638900
OS Northings: 262941
OS Grid: TM389629
Mapcode National: GBR XQD.6XR
Mapcode Global: VHM7N.WM0Z
Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist
Listing Date: 18 July 1949
Last Amended: 25 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462129
Location: Saxmundham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Saxmundham
Built-Up Area: Saxmundham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Saxmundham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM3862 CHURCH STREET
841-1/4/6 (South side)
18/07/49 Church of St John Baptist
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St John the Baptist)
Parish church. C14 west tower: south chapel at east end of
south aisle 1308 for Robert Swann, restored 1948: north aisle
rebuilt 1853 by Henry Roberts: restoration 1872-73 by RM
Phipson including rebuilding of south aisle, removal of south
porch and partial reconstruction of chancel: north transeptal
vestry added 1907-8 by Brown & Burgess of Ipswich.
MATERIALS: flint and conglomerate with ashlar quoins. Aisle
roofs lead, otherwise slate.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower supported by diagonal west buttresses.
Arched west door below 2-light Y-traceried window with C15
stained glass in vesica head. Trefoil niche above. Cusped
2-light belfry openings. Flushwork crenellated parapet with
square corner pinnacles.
South aisle with 3-light Perpendicular windows under depressed
arches, one to west end and three to south flank. To east of
these serving Swann chapel is one 2-light cusped Y-tracery
Four 2-light Perpendicular north aisle windows. Six 2-light
restored Perpendicular clerestory windows to north and south,
the western two on south side with flushwork panelling and
Gabled north vestry lit through one 2-light north window.
4-light Dec chancel east window of C19; C19 3-light south
chapel east window in Perpendicular style.
INTERIOR: 4-bay arcade on octagonal piers with polygonal
capitals and triple-chamfered arches. Chancel arch with
polygonal responds under double-hollow-chamfered arch. Eastern
clerestory windows with moulded jambs, to the north on
crenellated sills, to the south with black-letter inscription:
`Sanct Johannes, ora pro Nobis'.
Restored late C15 hammerbeam nave roof supported on moulded
wall posts resting on corbels in form of singing angels.
Crenellated hammerbeams and collars, the latter above arched
braces. Arch-braced aisle roofs, to the north entirely C19,
the south early C16, with pierced spandrels. 2-bay C19 arcade
between south chapel and chancel.
FITTINGS: octagonal C15 font with wild men and lions against
the stem; angels bearing shields and lions alternate against
the bowl. Cinquefoiled early C15 piscina in south chapel.
MONUMENTS: various C19 tablets and monuments to Long family of
Hurts Hall including tablet to Charles Long, d.1812, by
Nollekins: weeping winged cherub with extinguished torch
before an obelisk (chancel north wall). Monument to Charles
Long, Baron Farnborough, d.1838, by Sir Richard Westmacott, a
tablet with a profile bust (chancel north wall).
(Brown C: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings
1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-; BOE: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E:
Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 412).
Listing NGR: TM3890062941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings