History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Hatchelling House and Engine Room

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gillingham, Medway

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3929 / 51°23'34"N

Longitude: 0.5258 / 0°31'33"E

OS Eastings: 575825

OS Northings: 169010

OS Grid: TQ758690

Mapcode National: GBR PPP.MR6

Mapcode Global: VHJLV.28B1

Entry Name: Former Hatchelling House and Engine Room

Listing Date: 24 May 1971

Last Amended: 13 August 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462074

Location: Medway, ME4

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: River

Built-Up Area: Gillingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Chatham

Listing Text

TQ 76 NE CHATHAM ANCHOR WHARF
(East side) Chatham Dockyard
762-1/8/32
Former Hatchelling House
and Engine Room
24.5.71

GV II*

Hatchelling house. 1787-1791. Brick with slate and tiled hipped roof.
PLAN: single depth hatchelling room with attached store to the rear, and left-hand warehouse. EXTERIOR: 2 storey 4-window range hatchelling room; 4-storey 6-window range store. Hatchelling room has a wide end with pilaster strips one bay in to a corbelled cornice, parapet and central pediment containing a louvred lunette. Round-arched doorway with radial fanlight and double doors set within a matching recess, with tall right-hand 16/20-pane sash, first-floor 8/8-pane sashes and an off-centre hoist door with iron pivot hoist to the right. Right-hand return has 4 first-floor windows with paired 6/6-pane sashes. To the left a 4-storey range projects forward with 2 windows to the N end and 9-windows E side. Regularly-spaced rubbed-brick flat arches to 8/8-pane casements. Store to rear is recessed above the ground floor, with flat-headed casements.
INTERIOR: large wooden stair flight, with timber posts supporting the floors. HISTORY: hatchelling was the first part of the rope-making process in which the hemp was combed preparatory to spinning in the spinning house of the ropery (qv).
Built as part of the late C18 rebuilding of the S end of Dockyard, with the new Ropery, Rigging Store and Yarn houses (qqv). Part of the best ropeyard in the country, and a fine assemblage of Georgian dockyard buildings.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 163 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 211 ; MacDougall P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 90; The Buildings of England: Newman j: West Kent and the Weald: London: 1976: 205).

Listing NGR: TQ7582869016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.