History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henley Cemetery Church of England Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bix and Assendon, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5543 / 51°33'15"N

Longitude: -0.929 / 0°55'44"W

OS Eastings: 474349

OS Northings: 184472

OS Grid: SU743844

Mapcode National: GBR C4J.KY5

Mapcode Global: VHDWF.V67B

Entry Name: Henley Cemetery Church of England Chapel

Listing Date: 12 July 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461863

Location: Bix and Assendon, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bix and Assendon

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bix

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Henley on Thames

Listing Text

SU 78 SW BIX AND ASSENDON A423, Lower Assendon
(South side)
1209-0/6/10015
Henley Cemetery Church of
12.07.96 England Chapel

GV II

Cemetery chapel, Anglican. 1868. Knapped flint with freestone dressings. Clay tile roofs with bands of shaped tiles, crested ridge-tiles and stone coping to the gable ends with finials and corbelled kneelers. PLAN: Nave and short chancel; porch on liturgical 'south' [north] of nave with integral bell-tower in the angle to its side. Victorian Gothic style with Decorated window tracery.
EXTERIOR: Steeply-pitched roofs, integral corner buttresses with set-offs and small lancets on north and south sides with cusped arches. 2-light east window and large 3-light west window with Decorated tracery and stained glass. Gabled porch on north side with pointed arch and inner door with ornate wrought-iron strap hinges; integral bell-tower to left with broaches to polygonal stone belfry with squat spire; the belfry and spire have been rebuilt. North doorway with pointed arch and plank doors with strap hinges, flanked by two new brick buttresses. Stone string at window cill level around the chapel.
INTERIOR: Double-chamfered chancel arch without capitals to the responds. Scissor-braced roof. Benches, lectern, altar rail and stained glass windows.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, page 638.

Listing NGR: SU7434984472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.