History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salvation Army Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Stroud, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7447 / 51°44'41"N

Longitude: -2.2122 / 2°12'43"W

OS Eastings: 385448

OS Northings: 205137

OS Grid: SO854051

Mapcode National: GBR 1MK.KJC

Mapcode Global: VH94Y.LDWT

Entry Name: Salvation Army Chapel

Listing Date: 17 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268473

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461786

Location: Stroud, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Stroud

Built-Up Area: Stroud

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stroud St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Stroud

Listing Text

S85805 STROUD ACRE STREET

822/5/10015 Salvation Army Chapel

II


Methodist chapel, now used by Salvation Army. 1763, extended 1796; restored 1980s. Coursed and squared stone with hipped slate roof. The regular octagon plan of 1763 was extended in 1796 by doubling the length of the sides and rebuilding the NW end. 2-storey external elevations with 1980s glazing bar sashes and bracketed timber hood over double doors with overlight; the NW end has full-height blocked semi-circular arched windows set over late C20 windows. Interior has early C19 gallery with panelled front set on cast-iron columns; roof rebuilt after fire damage in 1929. This is the oldest surviving example of an octagonal plan Methodist chapel. Octagons, which were favoured as a plan form by John Wesley , represented the most extreme manifestation of the importance of the sermon and the centrality of the word in the Methodist tradition: Wesley himself preached here in 1765, the extension of 1796 not only retains the octagon in elongated form but also represents an early surviving example of an extension dating from a major period of Methodist expansion.


Listing NGR: SO8544805137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.