History in Structure

Sele House Including Front Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7975 / 51°47'51"N

Longitude: -0.0884 / 0°5'18"W

OS Eastings: 531918

OS Northings: 212714

OS Grid: TL319127

Mapcode National: GBR KBQ.8GM

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.F24V

Plus Code: 9C3XQWX6+2J

Entry Name: Sele House Including Front Railings

Listing Date: 12 April 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461391

ID on this website: 101268844

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford St Andrew with St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



817-1/8/129 (North side)
12/04/73 No.22
Sele House including front railings


House, originally miller's house for Sele Mill, now flats.
Late C18 with C19 alterations and extensions. Stuccoed
brickwork below hipped Welsh slated roofs with bracketed eaves
cornice, and stuccoed chimneystacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys with long flat-roofed late C19 rear
(west) extension. First floor facing North Road has 2-storey
mid C19 canted bay window at left, with plain glazed sash
windows. Plaster spandrel and moulded cornice below lead flat
roof. Similar window in oriel form at right, above ground
floor porch with Tuscan Doric columns, with panelled responds,
and frieze and modillion cornice above. Flush-panelled door.
Return (east) elevation to the mill site has irregular
fenestration, large rear north wing has 2 canted oriel bays on
first floor, 2 squat 9-pane sash windows on second floor, and
semicircular headed doorway with fanlight at left. Carved bay
window at right.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron railings along frontage, with
gate, spearhead and arrowhead balusters, posts with urn
HISTORICAL NOTE: until 1890 when it was destroyed by fire Sele
Mill adjoined the house on the right (north). The mill was
recorded in the Domesday Book. At the end of C15 John Tate
established the first paper mill in England under Henry VII's
patronage, with 'De Proprietatibus Rerum' of 1496 by
Bartholomaeus Anglicus being the first book to be printed on
English paper: Tate's watermark was a five pointed star or
daisy in a double circle.
(Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 44; 80-1;
The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire:
Harmondsworth: 1977-: 193).

Listing NGR: TL3191812713

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.