This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7968 / 51°47'48"N
Longitude: -0.089 / 0°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 531879
OS Northings: 212629
OS Grid: TL318126
Mapcode National: GBR KBQ.8BJ
Mapcode Global: VHGPN.D3TF
Entry Name: Hertford County Hospital (Main Front Block)
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461397
Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertford
Built-Up Area: Hertford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hertford St Andrew with St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL3112NE NORTH ROAD
817-1/8/134 (South side)
12/04/73 Hertford County Hospital (main front
Hospital, built as General Infirmary. 1832-3, much altered and
extended late C19 and C20. Designed by Thomas Smith,
architect. Stuccoed brick, and yellow stock brick, laid to
Flemish bond to flanks. Welsh slated hipped roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. 5-bay front elevation, with
slightly later single bay wings set back to left and right.
Central 3 bays break slightly forward with tetrastyle Tuscan
Doric pseudo-portico to upper 2 storeys, and plat band at
first-floor level across full width of facade. First floor has
recessed 12-pane sash windows, second floor squat 6-pane
sashes, the 2 to right of pediment now enlarged. 3 light box
dormer to left of central pediment. Ground floor has recessed
12-pane sashes, some now altered, and central doorway with
half-glazed door beneath fanlight with bolection moulded
architrave surround. Fascia and entablature, the former
reflected in a deep projecting band across the original 5 bay
facade. Pediment with sculpted tympanum symbolising medicine,
centrally set on raised band at base of pediment, with moulded
console supports, is inscribed 'stone placed by Bishop of
Lincoln 17 July 1832.'
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the hospital had its origins in the efforts
of Rev Thomas Lloyd and Henry Cowper of Tewin Water to provide
medical services for the poor. In 1822 the General Dispensary
was opened in Hertford Castle by permission of the Marquess of
Salisbury; a decade later the General Infirmary was built.
Thomas Smith (1798-1875), the architect lived nearby at No.2
North Road (qv) which he built for himself in 1827-28.
The hospital opened on 4 July 1833, but financial difficulties
restricted its patient intake a year later until eased by
donations from Henry Cowper who also endowed the post of
Chaplain, and subsequently invested a sum to pay the salary of
the resident Medical Secretary, George Towers MD.
The name changed to Hertford County Hospital in 1908, and a
new wing was built followed by substantial reconstruction in
1916, and a further wing, whose foundation stone was laid by
Edward Prince of Wales in 1922, and further additions in 1932,
progressively covering the original spacious landscaped
gardens. The National Health Service took over the hospital in
(Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 308-12; The
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth:
1977-: 189; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-:
45; Felstead A: Directory of British Architects 1834-1900:
London: 1993-; Heath C: Hertford County Hospital - 150th
Anniversary: Hertford: 1983-; Hertford County Museum: Hertford
County Hospital, About Hertford: Hertford; Colvin H: A
Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840:
Listing NGR: TL3187912628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings