History in Structure

121-129, Fore Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7973 / 51°47'50"N

Longitude: -0.0737 / 0°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 532932

OS Northings: 212714

OS Grid: TL329127

Mapcode National: GBR KBR.65Y

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.N3X1

Plus Code: 9C3XQWWG+WG

Entry Name: 121-129, Fore Street

Listing Date: 10 February 1950

Last Amended: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461337

ID on this website: 101268916

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



817-1/17/91 (North side)
10/02/50 Nos.121-129 (Odd)
(Formerly Listed as:
Staff Quarters, Christ's Hospital)


Girls' school, subsequently staff quarters, now subdivided as
5 houses in single terrace. 1778, with C19 rear extensions and
later alterations. Brown brick with cherry red dressings, old
tiled roof. Classroom with accommodation in wings, now
subdivided as separate units.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics. Front elevation has 12 first
floor recessed sash windows, 6 in each wing, alternating
single and triple, with glazing bars, beneath red rubbed flat
arches. Ground floor with doorways below single sashes, and
triple-light sashes as first floor. Projecting plat band at
first-floor level. 2 floors (Nos 121 & 123) with 3-light
fanlights and flat hoods to left, 2 similar doors with
trelliswork porches and coved lead roofs to right. Centre bay
of front has large Venetian window to former classroom on
first floor, triple sashes, 12:20:12-pane with arched top in
centre and radiating bars, beneath rubbed red brick flat and
semicircular arches. Niches to left and right with statues of
Bluecoat girls; central triple sash windows on ground floor;
attic pediment with central lunette.
Rear elevation altered by single storey brick hip-roofed
projections left and right alternating with raised flat-roofed
extensions on first floor. Centre has 2-bay former
schoolrooms, single storey with attics, brick with old tiled
roofs with large gabled dormer at left and gabled projection
at right. 2 large multi-paned triple light Venetian windows
with brick rubbed arches and stone keyblocks. Ground floor has
projecting brick porch offset right of centre with red
semicircular arched doorway, with late C20 battened door. Half
glazed door with margin glazing in left gable, with attic
lunette with radiating bars.
Roof with 8 casement dormers with moulded cornices and lead
cheeks and flat roofs with parapeted gable ends, left and
right, moulded wood eaves cornice, central pediment front and
rear, with 5 brick chimney stacks, at ends, and along ridge
with oversailing courses and earthenware pots.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: although Christ's Hospital purchased the

Hertford site north of Fore Street in 1683, the girls' school
was not built until 1778 as a self-contained block, with the
boys continuing to use the major part of the site until the
move to Horsham at the turn of the 19th century. The girls'
block had been extended in the 19th century by addition of the
rear schoolrooms. After construction of the new dormitory
blocks in 1904-6, the former girls' school was used as staff
accommodation until 1986, after which it was converted to 5
residential units.
(Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 323-331;
Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire:
London: 1902-1912: 491; Royal Commission on Historical
Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments
of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 113-4; Hope Bagenal: The
Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford: 1929-:
10-11; Hertfordshire Countryside: Morrison J: Bluecoats in
Hertfordshire: Letchworth: 1946-1954: 62-3; Hertfordshire
Countryside: Forrester H: Hertford homes in Georgian days:
Letchworth: 1946-1961: 150-152; Hertfordshire Countryside:
Moodey G: Georgian brickwork of the choicest sort: Letchworth:
1946-1973: 26-7; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 188; Page FM: History of
Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 58,59,97,122,125-6).

Listing NGR: TL3293212714

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.