History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gauge House at the River Lee at Ngr Tl 3399 1381

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8069 / 51°48'24"N

Longitude: -0.0579 / 0°3'28"W

OS Eastings: 533995

OS Northings: 213809

OS Grid: TL339138

Mapcode National: GBR KBK.Q60

Mapcode Global: VHGPG.YV87

Entry Name: Gauge House at the River Lee at Ngr Tl 3399 1381

Listing Date: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461235

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hertford

Listing Text


HERTFORD

TL3313NE THE NEW RIVER
817-1/6/347 Gauge House at the River Lee at NGR
TL 3399 1381

II

Gauge house with former dwelling house of gauge keeper above.
1856. Constructed by the New River Company, William Chadwell
Mylne, Architect and engineer. Yellow-brown stock brick,
English bond, Welsh slated hipped roof with brick chimneys
with projecting bands.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys above brick-arched bridge undercroft.
First floor has 3 recessed plain glazed sash windows, with
rubbed brick flat arches above, ground floor has recessed sash
windows left and right with pilasters at corners and deep plat
band at first-floor level except on south elevation. This has
recessed storey height central panel, with inner arched
recess, with triple semicircular header arches and central
pierced moulded patterned cast-iron grille. Projecting brick
segmental header arches forming bridge over central water
inlet from River Lee to the New River.
North elevation faces River Lee with 3 first-floor sash
windows and blank ground floor below plat band. Canted intakes
project into the river at ground level.
INTERIOR: ground floor contains the gauge which measures the
intake of water from the River Lee; it consists of 2 iron
boats 5m long floating at Lee level which are joined by a
chordal segmental iron beam 9m long, and the rise and fall
with the level of the Lee controls the flow of water over the
sluice which can be further adjusted by weights hung from the
gate, the daily intake from the Lee being 22 1/2 million
gallons.
The New River runs between stone and concrete abutments.
HISTORICAL NOTE: pumping stations were constructed mid C19 to
assist the flow, the nearest being at Broadmead close to
Chadwell Spring, the original source of supply, 1 1/2 miles
east on the outskirts of Ware.
The New River was constructed in 1608-13 by Sir Hugh Myddelton
to provide water for London, with a 38 mile water course from
Chadwell Spring between Ware and Hertford. By early C18 the
supply had become inadequate. In 1739 a new Act allowed water
to be drawn from the River Lea near Hertford, to be measured
by gauges, designed by Robert Mylne (1733-1811). The River Lee
Act of 1855 gave the New River Company and the East London
Waterworks Company the right to take the whole of the Lee
water, with the exception of that required for navigation. An
improved cut was made across the King's Meads, and a new Gauge
House, designed by William Chadwell Mylne (1761-1862) was
built in 1856.
(The industrial archaeology of the British Isles: Branch
Johnson W: Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire: Newton
Abbot: 1970-: 97-101 167; Thames Water: History of the New
River: London: 1985-).

Listing NGR: TL3399513808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


HERTFORD

TL3313NE THE NEW RIVER
817-1/6/347 Gauge House at the River Lee at NGR
TL 3399 1381

II

Gauge house with former dwelling house of gauge keeper above.
1856. Constructed by the New River Company, William Chadwell
Mylne, Architect and engineer. Yellow-brown stock brick,
English bond, Welsh slated hipped roof with brick chimneys
with projecting bands.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys above brick-arched bridge undercroft.
First floor has 3 recessed plain glazed sash windows, with
rubbed brick flat arches above, ground floor has recessed sash
windows left and right with pilasters at corners and deep plat
band at first-floor level except on south elevation. This has
recessed storey height central panel, with inner arched
recess, with triple semicircular header arches and central
pierced moulded patterned cast-iron grille. Projecting brick
segmental header arches forming bridge over central water
inlet from River Lee to the New River.
North elevation faces River Lee with 3 first-floor sash
windows and blank ground floor below plat band. Canted intakes
project into the river at ground level.
INTERIOR: ground floor contains the gauge which measures the
intake of water from the River Lee; it consists of 2 iron
boats 5m long floating at Lee level which are joined by a
chordal segmental iron beam 9m long, and the rise and fall
with the level of the Lee controls the flow of water over the
sluice which can be further adjusted by weights hung from the
gate, the daily intake from the Lee being 22 1/2 million
gallons.
The New River runs between stone and concrete abutments.
HISTORICAL NOTE: pumping stations were constructed mid C19 to
assist the flow, the nearest being at Broadmead close to
Chadwell Spring, the original source of supply, 1 1/2 miles
east on the outskirts of Ware.
The New River was constructed in 1608-13 by Sir Hugh Myddelton
to provide water for London, with a 38 mile water course from
Chadwell Spring between Ware and Hertford. By early C18 the
supply had become inadequate. In 1739 a new Act allowed water
to be drawn from the River Lea near Hertford, to be measured
by gauges, designed by Robert Mylne (1733-1811). The River Lee
Act of 1855 gave the New River Company and the East London
Waterworks Company the right to take the whole of the Lee
water, with the exception of that required for navigation. An
improved cut was made across the King's Meads, and a new Gauge
House, designed by William Chadwell Mylne (1761-1862) was
built in 1856.
(The industrial archaeology of the British Isles: Branch
Johnson W: Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire: Newton
Abbot: 1970-: 97-101 167; Thames Water: History of the New
River: London: 1985-).

Listing NGR: TL3399513808

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.