History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge at Ngr Tl 3413 1349

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.804 / 51°48'14"N

Longitude: -0.0561 / 0°3'21"W

OS Eastings: 534129

OS Northings: 213492

OS Grid: TL341134

Mapcode National: GBR KBK.YFC

Mapcode Global: VHGPG.ZX7F

Entry Name: Bridge at Ngr Tl 3413 1349

Listing Date: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461237

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hertford

Listing Text


HERTFORD

TL3413SW THE NEW RIVER, THE KING'S MEAD
817-1/7/349 Bridge at NGR TL 3413 1349

II

Bridge, built to span the Hertford cut of the New River. 1817.
Prefabricated cast-iron girder bridge, with perforated
spandrels, ornamental keystones with date, with convex chordal
profile, span approx. 4.5m, rise approx 450 mil. Inscribed
'New River Co.', 'Priestfield Iron Works near Bilston'
(Staffordshire). Outer arches carry cast and wrought-iron post
and rail handrail.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the New River was constructed in 1608-13 by
Sir Hugh Myddelton to provide water for London, with a 38 mile
water course from Chadwell Spring, between Ware and Hertford.
By early C18 the supply had become inadequate. In 1739 a new
Act allowed water to be drawn from the River Lea near Hertford
to be measured by gauges, designed by Robert Mylne
(1733-1811). The River Lee Act of 1853 gave the New River
Company and the East London Waterworks Company the right to
take the whole of the Lea water, with the exception of that
required for navigation. An improved cut was made across the
King's Meads, and a new Gauge House (qv), designed by William
Chadwell Mylne (1761-1862) was built in 1856.
(Thames Water: History of the New River: London: 1985-; The
industrial archaeology of the British Isles: Branch Johnson W:
Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire: Newton Abbot: 1970-:
97-101 167).



Listing NGR: TL3412913491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.