This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5815 / 51°34'53"N
Longitude: -2.0948 / 2°5'41"W
OS Eastings: 393530
OS Northings: 186969
OS Grid: ST935869
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.Z1D
Mapcode Global: VH95S.MHYY
Entry Name: Court House to Rear of Number 27 and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 18 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460953
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9386 ST JOHN'S STREET
758-1/3/305 (East side)
18/01/49 Court House to rear of No.27 and
Medieval hospital building, Court House from 1623. Possibly
late C12, roof early C15, altered 1623.
Limestone rubble, rendered gable, brick gable stack and stone
PLAN: 3-bay plan at right-angles to street, originally
extended further to the E.
EXTERIOR: single storey; 3-window range. A right-hand doorway
with C20 door and C20 buttress to the left, and timber lintels
to casements with glazing bars; N elevation has mullion
windows with leaded lights. Purlins extend from E gable.
INTERIOR: details include a partly open roof with arch-braced
collar trusses, mortices for wind braces; steeply-battered
inner walls; C18 court fittings include a raised oak bench
with panelled back at W end for Warden and Capital Burgesses;
desks in front of dais with turned balusters and square
newels, the earliest date scratched on desks is 1745; panelled
screen or bar separates pit where 24 Assistant Burgesses
gathered in front of dais from public; court chest with 6
locks kept in pit, High Steward's chair on dais dates to 1842
with painted panel of Arms dated 1693.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble wall extends approx 3m
from NE corner.
HISTORICAL NOTE: on site of Hospital of St John and possibly
one of the conventual buildings, purchased for the Old
Corporation 1580; almshouses from 1597, Court and Free School
from 1629. Old Corporation have held meetings here since 1616.
The projecting purlins and attached wall suggest the Court
House may have extended further.
An extremely rare surviving example of a medieval hospital
building; the C17 and C18 fittings represent a very rare and
significant example of a small provincial Court Room.
(Wiltshire Buildings Record: Trowbridge: WLBR B303).
Listing NGR: ST9353386969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings