This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5841 / 51°35'2"N
Longitude: -2.0963 / 2°5'46"W
OS Eastings: 393426
OS Northings: 187256
OS Grid: ST934872
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.QTH
Mapcode Global: VH95S.MF4Y
Entry Name: Tower House
Listing Date: 18 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460935
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9387 OXFORD STREET
758-1/4/276 (East side)
18/01/49 Tower House
Medieval hall with later rear wing, attached to terrace of 4
houses, with inserted tower; one house since early C19, when
refronted. Late C15 hall, with a mid C16 rear wing, terrace of
four C18 houses; refronted and tower added 1834.
MATERIALS: hall of limestone rubble, rear wing of re-used
ashlar and carved work (a feature of post-Dissolution
Malmesbury) and coursed, squared limestone; tower of rubble
with dressings, rubble houses; all rendered to street
elevations, with a stone slate roof and 3 ridge stacks.
PLAN: open hall parallel to street with an E range at S end,
square tower attached within S end of terrace of single-depth
houses, with a rear wing to the N end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range, includes 5-storey;
1-window range tower. The hall has C19 openings with a
cambered arch to left-hand C19 carriage arch, 2 ground and
first-floor windows, that on the first-floor to the S a
trefoil in a square head; the E range to the rear has
ground-floor lunettes and stable doors, the E section largely
original with a blocked 4-light hollow-moulded window and E
doorway with chamfered head, and C19 9-pane windows beneath
The 3 N houses have a middle 1-window range and outer 2-window
ranges, that to the right with 6/6-pane sashes and a
right-hand 6/9-pane sash in the former doorway, the middle one
with a left-hand round-arched doorway and 8/8-pane sashes, and
the N one a left-hand doorway, 8/8-pane ground-floor sash and
two first-floor sashes with 6/6-panes to left and 8/8-panes to
right; three gables to rear elevation.
The S house was converted to a tower has a doorway and small
window above; the tower has quoins and dressings to
round-arched windows to the lower floors, flat-headed to the
top storey, with an ashlar parapet.
INTERIOR: details include a 3- former 4-bay roof to the hall
with collar trusses and chamfered arch braces forming
continuous arches, wind braces to the lower 2 registers, and a
diagonal through ridge beam; possible former screened passage
beneath the tower; the E range has collared trusses with wind
braces to the middle register; houses have C19 reeded
architraves with plain stops.
HISTORICAL NOTE: possibly part of an extensive courtyard
complex with the S range originally stables (Stirling).
Town work house from C18 to 1834, when converted to stables.
The N house formerly the Salutation Inn before 1803. The tower
was built for an astronomical observatory by Richard Pryor.
(Stirling D: Secular medieval buildings in Malmesbury, Wilts,
1150-1547: 1986-: 8; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Wiltshire: London: 1963-: 328).
Listing NGR: ST9344587258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings