This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5875 / 51°35'14"N
Longitude: -2.1024 / 2°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 393001
OS Northings: 187628
OS Grid: ST930876
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.H8Z
Mapcode Global: VH95S.HCXD
Entry Name: Westport Foundry and Attached Iron Railngs, Piers and Gates
Listing Date: 1 July 1976
Last Amended: 19 July 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460734
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9287 FOUNDRY ROAD
758-1/2/72 (North East side)
01/07/76 Westport Foundry and attached iron
railings, piers and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Foundry and forge. Founded 1870, incorporating early C19 range
of farm buildings. Limestone rubble outer farm walls and late
C19 brickwork, with slate and Double Roman roof.
U-shaped plan of single-depth ranges, paired along the SE
side, with rebuilt former office to SW open side.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeys and attic, with single storey NE range;
3:3:3-window ranges to courtyard. Parallel 2-storey ranges
have segmental-arched heads and metal-framed windows, blind to
the ground floor, the W range with a 1-window rubble end gable
and small hatch to the left of the ground-floor window, the E
range with a right-hand parallel gabled range set forward,
brick with altered carriage doors and hoist doors above;
connected by a single-storey rear range with a left-hand
doorway, arched left-hand and flat-headed central and
right-hand windows. Rebuilt former office has an inward-facing
doorway and small windows with thin mullions.
INTERIOR: details include line shafting to lathes and pillar
drill in N range and fan for brass furnace and forge in W
range which retain early bellows, driven by a Tangye gas
engine; pattern maker's shop and casting floor, formerly with
cupola, in E range.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron railings, piers and
entrance gates close the courtyard; a pair of capped ashlar
gate piers with iron gates attached to W corner.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a fairly complete example of a rural town
foundry, of which there are now very few survivors.
Listing NGR: ST9300587628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings