This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3618 / 53°21'42"N
Longitude: -1.4631 / 1°27'47"W
OS Eastings: 435829
OS Northings: 385120
OS Grid: SK358851
Mapcode National: GBR 9JS.VP
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.HRJP
Entry Name: Heeley Bank Community Centre and Adjoining Infant School
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458664
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: Park and Arbourthorne
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heeley
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE HEELEY BANK ROAD
784-1/6/416 (South East side)
Heeley Bank Community Centre and
adjoining Infant School
Board school, now community centre, and adjoining infant
school. 1880, with late C20 alterations. By ER Robson. For the
Sheffield School Board. Coursed squared stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs. Renaissance Revival style.
EXTERIOR: community centre, to left, 2 storeys plus basement;
2 : 8 windows. Plinth, first floor sillband, shaped coped
gables with triangular pediments. Massive rear wall stack,
with 2 square flues with pediments, linked by a round arch and
pierced balustrade. 2 ridge and single gable stacks.
To right, a symmetrical range with recessed centre flanked by
gabled wings. 6 segment-headed glazing bar cross casements
with impost band. Above, two 2-light glazing bar casements,
flanked by single through-eaves dormers with shaped gables and
segmental pediments, each with a segment-headed glazing bar
cross casement. Beyond, single 2-light casements.
Wings have on the first floor a large glazing bar cross
casement with side lights, stone major mullions and raised
surround. That to left is flanked by single square C20
casements. Below, a segment-arched cross casement with side
lights, stone major mullions and surround.
To left, a bay with two C20 4-light casements. Above, to
right, a through-eaves dormer with segmental pediment and
segment-arched glazing bar cross casement. Basement has to
right a 6-panel door, and to left, a C20 3-light window.
Infant school, to right, linked to the community centre by a
C20 first floor bridge. Single storey plus basement; 5 window
range. Shaped coped gables with triangular pediments, and
single coped gable stack. To right, gabled cross-wing with a
large glazing bar cross casement with sidelights, stone major
mullions and raised surround. Right return has a gabled
dormer. Range to left has to right a pair of through-eaves
dormers with segmental pediments and segment-arched glazing
bar cross casements. To left, 2 square 16-pane casements.
Basement has, to left, 2 unglazed segment-arched openings with
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: ER Robson, architect to the London School
Board, was employed by the Sheffield School Board in 1879-80
to design the School Board Offices, Central Schools and Firth
College (qv). Robson also designed 2 board schools and
associated infant schools, here and at Brightside, Jenkin Road
(qv). The remainder of the board schools were designed by
local architects, particularly Innocent & Brown.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3582985120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings