This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9315 / 52°55'53"N
Longitude: -1.1584 / 1°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 456668
OS Northings: 337450
OS Grid: SK566374
Mapcode National: GBR LMY.98
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.5LN0
Plus Code: 9C4WWRJR+HJ
Entry Name: Wilford Endowed School and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457486
Location: Nottingham, NG11
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wilford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE MAIN ROAD, Wilford
646-1/7/813 (East side)
Wilford Endowed School and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
MAIN ROAD, Wilford
Wilford School (formerly listed in
the Urban District of West
Primary school and boundary wall. 1736 and 1868. Founded and
endowed as a charity school by Benjamin Carter, rector
1694-1732. Comprises former school house and adjoining
School house, 1736, altered and refenestrated early C20.
Roughcast and colourwashed, with renewed plain tile roof and
coped gables with 4 gable stacks. Plinth and first floor band.
2 storeys; 3 bays. Double range plan. Windows are mainly
wooden cross casements. South front has 3 windows, and above
the centre window, an inscribed slate tablet recording the
foundation, signed by W Tilly. Above, 2 gabled through-eaves
dormers, each with a window. Rear has a central square porch,
2 storeys, mid C19 with steps to side door, single window, and
parapet. On each side, a window on each floor, the upper
windows in through-eaves dormers.
Classroom block, 1868, is attached at right angles, parallel
to the street. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof
with tile crest and 4 coped side wall stacks. Tudor Revival
style. Plinth and quoins. Single storey plus attics; 3 bays.
E-plan. Windows are mainly wooden framed cross casements with
stone surrounds and mullions. Central shaped gable with finial
and renewed clock. Double window. Side bays have an original
window to right, and two C20 windows to left. Above, 2 box
dormers. End bays have gables with bargeboards and finials.
Right gable has an original window, the left a flat roofed
Outside, brick boundary wall, C19, with brick coping and 2
pairs of square gate piers. Gate opposite the centre blocked.
(Wilford School through 200 years: Lawson M: Wilford: 1986-).
Listing NGR: SK5666837450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings