History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Masonic Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Calne, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4357 / 51°26'8"N

Longitude: -2.0015 / 2°0'5"W

OS Eastings: 399990

OS Northings: 170741

OS Grid: ST999707

Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.YLY

Mapcode Global: VHB42.857R

Entry Name: Masonic Hall

Listing Date: 22 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456910

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Calne

Built-Up Area: Calne

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Calne

Listing Text


CALNE

ST9970 THE GREEN
755-1/5/171 (South side)
No.17
Masonic Hall

GV II

Masonic hall, formerly a school and technical college. Dated
1894. Rough limestone ashlar with fine ashlar dressings and
quoins; slate roof, ashlar stacks with cornices to gable ends.
L-shaped plan. Stripped Jacobean style.
2 storeys; 3-window range. Large windows with label moulds are
stone-mullioned and transomed with 2 panes over 4 panes to
each light. To first-floor left is a 4-light window with 2
two-light windows to the right. Three 2-light windows to the
ground floor and the left-of-centre door are under a
continuous label mould. Double 3-panel doors have a
segmental-arched overlight in a pulvinated architrave with
datestone above.
INTERIOR: ceilings are approx 4m high and doors are large,
6-panels with bolection moulding. The large open-well
closed-string staircase to the rear left has turned balusters
and chamfered and moulded newels. The Masonic Hall to the
first floor has tongued-and-grooved panelling below a high
dado rail.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Bentley's school was founded in 1663 under
his will of 29 September 1660. After many organizational
disasters the Charity Commission re-organized the school and
in 1901 amalgamated it with the Technical Institute which had
been established in 1894 at a cost of ยป1,500. Prominently
sited in The Green, having group value with a fine group of
listed buildings.
Included for group value.


Listing NGR: ST9999070741

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.