This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3833 / 53°22'59"N
Longitude: -1.4629 / 1°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 435824
OS Northings: 387518
OS Grid: SK358875
Mapcode National: GBR 9JJ.XZ
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.H7M4
Entry Name: Sheffield United Gas Light Company Offices
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456676
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587NE COMMERCIAL STREET
784-1/20/221 (North side)
28/06/73 Sheffield United Gas Light Co.
Includes: No.19 SHUDE HILL.
Offices. 1875, with addition dated 1890, restored and
subdivided 1989. By ME Hadfield & Son, with domed General
Office by JF Bentley, carving by Thomas Earp, and Board Room
ceiling by Hugh Stannus. For the Sheffield United Gas Light
Company. Ashlar and brick with slate mansard roof and 2 coped
ridge and 3 side wall stacks. Italian Renaissance Revival
EXTERIOR: intermediate and dentilled main cornices with
breaks, low coped parapet with pedestals and square corner
pinnacles topped with spires. 2 storeys plus attics; 7 x 6
windows. Front has round-arched windows, unglazed at time of
First floor has 3 central bays divided by paired granite
Corinthian columns, and the outer bays articulated by paired
Corinthian pilasters. Central window has paired flanking
pilasters supporting a segmental pediment. On either side, 2
windows with gabled pediments, then single windows with
segmental pediments. Above, large central dormer with
dentilled pediment containing crest, and 3 small windows
divided by pilasters. On either side, 3 single light dormers
with segmental pediments. Ground floor, articulated in the
same way as the first floor, has rusticated quoins and 6
windows, the central and outer ones with panelled surrounds.
All the windows have their openings deepened at the foot. In
the sixth bay, a round-arched doorway with steps, flanked by
Atlantes on pedestals, supporting a segmental pediment.
Right return, 2 windows, has similar fenestration. Rusticated
2 storey basement with 2 segmental pedimented windows, the
left one altered to a door, and above them, 2 plain windows.
To right, a lower block, single storey above 2 storey
basement, with panelled attic. 4 round-arched windows.
Basement has 4 segmental pedimented windows, the right one
altered to a door, and above them, 4 plain windows.
To right again, addition dated 1890, brick with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. 3 storeys plus basement; 16 window
range, the bays divided by brick pilasters. Regular
fenestration, with segment-headed first floor windows and
round-arched windows above, all with keystones. Painted ground
floor has central segment-arched door flanked by 6
segment-headed windows. Single entrance bay, to left, has a
round-arched window on each floor and below, a segment-arched
INTERIOR is said to contain glazed dome to General Office, and
important decorative works by Earp and Stannus.
In course of restoration with windows mainly unglazed at time
(150 Years of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell,
Davidson: Sheffield: 1984-: 63).
Listing NGR: SK3582487518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings