This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3822 / 53°22'56"N
Longitude: -1.4645 / 1°27'52"W
OS Eastings: 435715
OS Northings: 387398
OS Grid: SK357873
Mapcode National: GBR 9JK.KC
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.G7TY
Entry Name: Head Post Office and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458137
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Park St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SE FITZALAN SQUARE
784-1/25/321 (South side)
28/06/73 Head Post Office and attached
Post office and attached railing. 1893, with addition in
sympathetic style, 1910. By J Williams. Ashlar with ashlar and
granite dressings. Hipped slate roof to main block, and slate
mansard roof to addition. Single coped stone ridge stack. Free
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attics; 7 bays. Recessed centre has
five 12 pane sashes, the ground floor ones with balustrades
below them, pediments and keystones. Giant order of engaged
Ionic columns with pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice
topped with pierced balustrade. Attic storey has 5 similar
sashes divided by plain pilasters. Above the eaves cornice, 5
box dormers with 4-pane casements. On either side, a heavily
rusticated entrance bay with giant pilasters, and dentilled
cornice and half-round pediment. First floor has a 12 pane
sash flanked by single 8 pane sashes, divided by paired Doric
columns. In the pediment, a segment-headed tripartite window.
Coved round-arched entrance with scrolled keystone and
entrance portico with blocked granite columns and dentilled
cornice. Above it, a Diocletian window. Round corner tower, to
right, topped with a dome supported by consoles, has banded
lower stages with two stepped 8 pane stair windows with
cornices. Attic storey has three 12 pane sashes divided by
paired Doric columns, and moulded stepped cornice. Ground
floor has a Diocletian window with posting boxes below it.
Right return has a bay similar to the entrance bays, with a
ground floor transomed Diocletian window with post boxes below
To right, 1910 addition. 3 storeys plus attics; 10 bays. Nine
12 pane sashes with moulded surrounds, those to the ground
floor with cornices and ornamented keystones. Pulvinated
frieze and dentilled cornice. Attic storey has similar smaller
windows, with string course and moulded cornice. Mansard has 8
box dormers with 9 pane sashes. Outside, a wrought-iron
railing with corniced ashlar piers. To right, an entrance bay
similar to those of the main block, but without the pediment.
Diocletian window to ground floor.
INTERIOR has a marble panelled main hall with enriched cross
beam ceiling and cornice. Doorcases with dentilled cornices.
Cantilever stone spiral stair with wrought-iron balustrade.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 453).
Listing NGR: SK3571587398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings